Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
This is a topic that is of great interest to me at the moments, as i changed to DCC about 15 months back, and when purchasing my equipment (Lenz LH 100) had no idea that my existing older stock of locos with 3 pole motors, would struggle on DCC, I have looked for replacment motors to upgrade to 5 pole, which it appears is a must if good smooth running is required, but so far with no luck, is there a market for replacment motors on older locos? or, are the manufacturers thinking of producing a chip for operation with 3 pole motors? there must be thousands of 3 pole motors on layouts just waiting to be converted, I got 25 of them sitting in the sheds waiting for a major overhaul. I would like to see them running with DCC any ideas???

·
Registered
352 Posts
Many thanks for your help (MMAD) but as with any reply it always seems to prompt more questions, you memtion "B-EMF" i have no idea what this is? or what it does? at the moment, the locos i do have running well are using the lenz LE1000A, these being recently produced locos, my older stock with motors like the X04, ringfield, and a couple of airfix motors, either run erratically, or not at all, all these locos ran quite well before the fitting of decoders, the worst being a ringfield motor on my princess elizabeth, the armature burnt out on that and had to be replaced. Could you recommend a suitable decoder for these motors? I have 25 locos still to have decoders fitted, and don't want to waste monies on decoders that are not going to do the job, any further help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have to agree with ChrisE, if there was a chart showing what decoders, members had fitted to their locos, and the end results, this would quickly become a invaluable resource for any one fitting a decoder, especially to older engined locos, think of the time and monies saved, by fitting the correct decoder first time, this could also help by not putting people off from trying DCC

·
Registered
352 Posts
After all the trouble i have had with running older locos on dcc, i decided to follow some advice found here, i fitted a old 1980 airfix class 31, with a lenz silver decoder, instead of the 1000a decoder, and WOW, what a difference, it now has extremely slow running with out stalling, smooth acceleration & deceleration, and runs at a constant speed, i'm well pleased, i'm going to fit one to my hornby princess elizabeth, (tender driven ringfield motor) to see if i get similar results, will report back on progress.

·
Registered
352 Posts
firstly a small amendment to my reply above, its not a class 31, its a class 35 A1A A1A, Have now fitted the lenz silver decoder to my hornby Princess Elizabeth (tender drive) and hey presto, it runs very nicely, only had one little problem, it started to stop dead then start again, after a bit of detective work i found that the draw bar spring had broken, making the electrical circuit from the loco to the tender a bit erratic, but after fixing that it runs as if its just come out of the box, i now intend to fit these decoders to the rest of my older stock and hope i get the same results

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.