Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Quick insert - many thanks for everyone's co-operation in arriving at the need for a specific topic on decoders and 'How To's for older locos, which we hope will turn into a solid and invaluable MRF reference/resource for the future. There is a lot of useful stuff here already and now every chance that it will continue to grow.

Particular thanks to Doug for his hard work in collating the many relevant posts from other topics - I know what a pain that can be, but I am sure it is now paying off and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
352 Posts
After all the trouble i have had with running older locos on dcc, i decided to follow some advice found here, i fitted a old 1980 airfix class 31, with a lenz silver decoder, instead of the 1000a decoder, and WOW, what a difference, it now has extremely slow running with out stalling, smooth acceleration & deceleration, and runs at a constant speed, i'm well pleased, i'm going to fit one to my hornby princess elizabeth, (tender driven ringfield motor) to see if i get similar results, will report back on progress.

·
Registered
352 Posts
firstly a small amendment to my reply above, its not a class 31, its a class 35 A1A A1A, Have now fitted the lenz silver decoder to my hornby Princess Elizabeth (tender drive) and hey presto, it runs very nicely, only had one little problem, it started to stop dead then start again, after a bit of detective work i found that the draw bar spring had broken, making the electrical circuit from the loco to the tender a bit erratic, but after fixing that it runs as if its just come out of the box, i now intend to fit these decoders to the rest of my older stock and hope i get the same results

·
Administrator
10,694 Posts
>i fitted a old 1980 airfix class 31
I have a couple of those - one green, one blue. I've not run them for some time but I do remember one of them could be set to crawl at around a mm/sec and that was with an H & M Duette. If I remember correctly they have 5 pole motors - quite unusual for RTR models at the time.

David

·
Registered
535 Posts
DWB
You're correct is saying Airfix stock had five pole motors.
I can recall, when I venturted into Zero 1, fitting Hornby decoders into Airfix locos and watching the motors overheat.
I went to Margate with one once and Hornby looked at the set up and agreed that their decoder (at that time) wasn't suitable for these 5 pole motors. Which was the death nail of Zero 1 for me! Sold it all and brought a new H&M Duette. Ah those were the days!

·
Registered
3 Posts
What a great topic.

Has this topic been kept going somewhere else which I have not found, or has it run out of steam !!!!!

I am just retiring, and getting some old 00 gauge stuff out of the attic that had an temporary enforced early retirement about 20 years ago.

73's

David

·
Registered
125 Posts
Lenz is certainly the weapon of choice for me as well, tho I am slowly converting my collection to sound.

Digitrax decoders are also worth a look in older locos due to the fact they can handle more current and are slightly cheaper than lenz
The DH163D is a good value high output decoder.

The best piece of advice I can offer when fitting decoders is to fit a socket where space allows, this makes the fault finding process much easier as its a quicker job to swap out a decoder if it doesn't live up to expectations

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.