Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I'd picked up this DVD set at a stall at a model railway exhibition late last year. I agree with all of dwb's review. The only annoying thing is that a month after I'd bought Vol 1, BFI started advertising Volume 2 with a special offer if buying both - yet Volume 2 has only been published in the last week or two!

By the way, the picture of St Pancras under construction inside the box has that large group of lines because they were designed to be carriage sidings. It was only in 1892 that some were replaced by the current platforms 3 & 4.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 2 sets of the British Transport Films 1 & 4, and I have just ordered number 3. They are well worth having as they give you plenty of details for our layouts, and take you back (To some of us ) to happy days of our youth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (Cameron @ 18 Feb 2008, 09:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have 2 sets of the British Transport Films 1 & 4, and I have just ordered number 3. They are well worth having as they give you plenty of details for our layouts, and take you back (To some of us ) to happy days of our youth.
I can remember showing these when they first came out in the 16mm version. We had a film club and the company Bell and Howell at the Technical Centre.

Number 3 "E for Experimental" was particuarly relevant. I saw an old colleague of mine in the back ground.

And in Volume 4 "Forward to First Principles" there are sequences of a Steamer puffing away gallantly on the Cromford and High Peak, and Ambergate station with George Stephenson's limework as I remember it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following the nationalization of transport in 1948, the British Transport Commission set up its own in-house film production unit. Launched on 1st May, 1949, and led for 25 years by Edgar Anstey OBE - a founding father of the British documentary movement - it became one of the largest industrial film units in Britain.All these films are now preserved by the BFI National Film and Television Archive. This selection has been digitally remastered for this two-disc set, which is a "must" not just for the transport enthusiast, but also for the documentary aficionado who will recognize traits and innovations in British non-fiction film making.
------------------------
Gillberk

Link Building

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Hi gillberk,

Thanks for your comments and welcome to the forum.

You will find looking back through the 'Media - Magazines, TV, Video and Photography' section of the forum that a number of members have posted comments on the other various BFI volumes which have been issued since Volume 1. This thread on Volume 1 was posted before the above section had been formed!

Regards,
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts