Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Between 24/07 and 06/08, I'll be out of circulation as Mrs Piermaster and I have her cousin from San Francisco staying with us and we're taking him around this country, Ireland and France on a cruise. Our itinerary is:

Thursday 24/07: Drive to Southampton via my new job's southern office in Camberley, Surrey to hand in my signed contract. Check in at Holiday Inn Express near Southampton, dinner in Hythe where I can ride the Hythe Pier Tram!

Friday 25/07: Drive around New Forest via Lyndhurst, Christchurch and Lymington then to Southampton Docks, park car and board MV Grand Princess (110,000 tons, 2600 passengers, 1200 crew). Cast off at 1700

Saturday 26/07: 0700-1600 in St. Peter Port, Guernsey.

Sunday 27/07: 0800-1800 in Cobh, Ireland. Hope to do a train journey to Cork on one of the most scenic commuter routes known.

Monday 28/07: 0800-1800 in Dublin. City sightseeing, coffee in Bewleys, Grafton Street, take DART out to Howth and must travel a bit of LUAS - It's been over 25 years since I was last in Dublin and I was working there for London Transport International on the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) project.

Tuesday 29/07: 0700-1900 in Liverpool. City sightseeing, Mersey Ferry sightseeing tour. Might try and get to Southport to see Southport Pier tram.

Wednesday 30/07: 0800-1800 in Belfast. Was there last year and is a smart slick contrast to the troubled (and frightening) times I was there in the late 70s/early 80s. More City sightseeing!

Thursday 31/07: 0800-1900 in Greenock. First priority is to get out of Greenock! Take train to Glasgow, get Subway day ticket and visit - Kelvingrove Gallery, Transport Museum, Museum of Education (was Scotland Street School - a Charles Rennie Mackintosh building) and a walk up Buchanan Street!

Friday 01/08: At sea via Orkney Islands.

Saturday 02/08: 0700-1830 in Invergordon. Take train to Inverness - If dry spend day in Inverness, if wet take next train back!!!!

Sunday 03/08: 0700-0100 in South Queensferry. Must get up early to see sailing under Forth Bridge. Collect hire car and drive over to Comrie, Perthshire to visit uncle and cousins.

Monday 04/08: At Sea.

Tuesday 05/08: 0700-1800 in Le Havre, France. Visit to Honfleur, Normandy.

Wednesday 06/08: 0500 Arrive Southampton.

Dave

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dave,

In Dublin, take the DART to Bray and Greystones (the south side of the bay and parts of it like Naples Bay in the Sun)

Also if you can take the train journey from Dublin to Avoca as it is spectacular (and go all the way to Wexford if you can)

Great coastal route as far as Avoca and into the Wiclow mountains

great stuff

Go n'eirí an bhothar (nó an iarnród) leat.

Have a nice journey

Basil

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all,

Holiday report so far:
Thu 24/07: Had a good nights sleep at the Holiday Inn Express beside the M271 near Southampton
Fri 25/07: Rode the Hythe Pier Tramway, visited Lyndhurst and Christchurch, then boarded ship at Southampton.
Sat 26/07: In St. Peter Port, Guernsey - Nice place, but I prefer Normandy!
Sun 27/07: In Cobh, Ireland - rode the Irish Rail line to Cork.
Mon 28/07: In Dublin - it was very hot!!! Photographed the two narrow gauge locos on display at the Guinness Storehouse - preferred the days when I was there between 1976 and 1985, when one actually visited inside the brewery! Too hot to travel anywhere that day!
Tue 29/07: In Liverpool - Did the Mersey Ferry Cruise Liverpool-New Brighton-Wallasey-Birkenhead-Liverpool. 50 minutes for 5.30 GBP (using Amercian keyboard on board ship).
Wed 30/07: In Belfast - Did sightseeing and saw the Falls and Shankhill districts as part of the city sightseeing tour - these were no go areas during my time in Ireland.
Thu 31/07: In Greenock - rode the line to Glasgow, travelled the Subway and visited the Museum of Transport where I saw the Subway exhibits from the old system which I knew so well. Got a lump in my throat in the Clyde Room when I saw a 1:48 model of my Dad's ship SS Leicesterbrook of which he was its Chief Engineer and I spent my school holidays on board until 1964.
Fri 01/08: At sea en route to Invergordon, passing the Outer Hebrides as I write this.

Sorry I can attach photos - internet here is very slow and costs me $100 for 250 minutes!!!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 1 Aug 2008, 19:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Waved at you in rain at Greenock Piermaster as Grand Princess sailed out at 19.00. Very impressive!

Russell

Sorry, I couldn't wave you back - was cold, wet and hungry, and already having the first starter in one of the 5 main restaurants on board!!!

Enjoy Amtrak across USA.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts