Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,202 Posts
Excellent idea,thank you........might also work if only small bits available, laid on edge with broken plaster edges,, to build up a rocky cutting [I tried that idea with wood fibre insulation board years ago........]

BTW...I like that small dark green open wagon in the early photos..the one with the Castelle sheet over it?

any details?

· Registered
2,202 Posts
VERY NICE BIT OF INFO RE WINE WAGONS....sorry for shouting.....have you got the 3 axle wagon?

[I liked the spoked wheels.....again, apologies for sidetracking the thread.....I'm sure you didn't set out to post a [useful and interesting] history, but it's amazing what one see's in the background?]

· Registered
2,202 Posts
sorry to sidetrack again.......does anybody remember the occasional articles in the model press, last century, by a British person, [living in the US I think], who had [hand] built an O gauge French layout? [was it ''Clochemerle?]

He had produced some wonderful old French wine wagons...the one's with the huge wooden barrels?

I found his articles inspiring enough to hand make some [french prototype] open wagons in 3.5mm scale....

I loved his close-up photography....wherein the author established a character for the layout...

· Registered
2,202 Posts
excellent work.....couldn't have achieved such a good random wall texture if I tried!

the use of a sharply-moulded roof [tiles?] certainly enhances the model...providing that contrast between rough and tidy.

as in everything,it is the details that bring a model to life?

what about a seagull on the roof?

[and guano.....from the prototype pix I take it this is a seaside pub?]

· Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE like the MG outside looks like a TF. ( It rolls back the clock to about 1955?)

by the hood shape it looks more like a Morgan......especially with the tan colour and shiny wheels.....which, along with the rubber dinghies on the slipway.....puts the time frame at.....2008?

vey nice job you've done there......like the harbour water....is it a car park when the tide's out?

· Registered
2,202 Posts
super pix, super efforts, well done, Neil [Morgan has a sloping,or 'vertically rounded' front grill.....unless a very old flat rad model.....MG has a more boxy, upright grill..]

Can I comment on the EWS loads?

My casual observation of these trains notes that the coal carried [for power stations????] tends NOT to be large lumps.....but almost powdery in texture.....I believe the coal is crushed up to a fine sort of dust and injected into the power station boilers....

therefore perhaps a fine black heap in each wagon might be better?

[also, engine driver would need talking to by his supervisor as he obviously drove through the dumping area too fast, some wagons were dumped,others still left full??}

Also, whilst not certain of my facts in these matters...would have to research my library...but I believe the height of the coal heap in the 4 wheel wagons would need to be looked at?

why does coal need to be glossy?

take a look at a coal merchant's coal heaps....from a distance that equates to a normal model's veiwing distance....coal isn't so very glossy...unless it's pouring with rain?

are the loads removable?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.