Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
While I was on the BRMA stand at Caulfield last Saturday I was deomstrating weathering models. I took some old style private owner wagons and some new ESW ones too for a bit of variety. I started to add the coal while I was there but I was making a hell of a mess and thought I'd betteer wait until I got home. Here are the results below.

After adding coal to all these wagons I thought I'd better add some to the tender on the loco too. The pretendy coal load in the 9f is very plasticy looking so it had to go.

The modern image ones came out quite well too however I ran out of coal after three thrall's. They take a fair amount to fill. ..and yes I did fill them up with polystyrene first.

The trouble with weathering is that once you start you pretty much have to do everything. I will have to do my Class 66 next and then gradually everything else.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Cheers for the kind comments guys.

Yes it is real coal. I ran out half way through which is why some EWS loads are empty. I will have to have another trip to Puffing Billy to load up on some lost stuff.

Point taken about the size. I had to crush it in a bag with a hammer and some bits were a bit big. That can be sorted easily enough though.

Alastair, I know exactly the type of coal dust you refer to as my Dad used to work in a coal fired power station which used that.

I'll wait till I get more coal and finish them off.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
QUOTE (zmil @ 26 Aug 2008, 11:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Neil
Now I know why you have been promoted to "Railways Czar"
Inspiring work
as to the coal- You could "size" it by running it through a screen or sieve and re-crush what does not go through
a piece of expanded metal mesh or cross-checked flat grill (used in Commercial Speaker covers) will do the job
Regards Zmil
Hi Zmil,

good idea. I used to use something like that at Uni to separate out and quantify sediment of different grades.

Neil

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 27 Aug 2008, 02:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was that discussing - I thought you were telling me that I had to weather approximately 100 wagons (once we've acquired the airbrush etc) after I've painted enough figures to populate about 60 coaches...............................

Seriously though a fine selection of nicely dirtied four wheelers.

Regards
That certainly will keep you busy for a while!

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 27 Aug 2008, 19:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>nice work neil. plasterboard could be an interesting way to get that (please dont take this the wrong way!!) imperfect look of older buildings.

Peter

Yes Peter, That was my thoughts behind it. Buildings like these are stone built from random sized blocks and then painted over. I think the plasterboard gives that impression well.

Neil

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Time for an update on my workbench. Most of my work recently has been on my layout however today I did have to create a scenic item on my workbench first before fitting it to my layout. I have started work on the rear section of my layout which is a Scottish Highland scene. I have two backdrops of differring heights and needed something to partition them. I initially did this cliff face however I thought it a bit too flat.

I then decided to model it on a real cliff face to see if that would improve it. The cliff was to be made from plasterboard however this can be a bit two dimensional when used for large items. I decided that three layers of ply would do the job and still fit into the allocated space of..an inch!

The cliff I am basing it on is this one from the Trotternish peninsula in Skye near the Quiraing.

This is the sheet of plasterboard with the rough outline drawn. One metre long.

These are the sheets cut to size before assembly.

Here they are assembled with a first coat of coloured stain.

Some basic scenics added.

From here I have to fit it to my layout so suppose I had better continue over on the "on my layout thread".

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
In order to complete my raised station I wanted to contrsuct a station building which was unique. My first choice was for a West Highland Swiss chalet style building however due to restrictions of size this wasn't going to be possible. I then perused the stations on the Kyle line to see what was on offer there. The Plockton station took my fancy as I have been there a couple of times and have passed through it more often. The station is mainly wood and as I have plenty of wood left over from my ship building days decided to proceed with this.

Armed with a bunch of photographs, some card, several strips of wood and a tool kit I set off to contruct an interpretation of Plockton station as it was in the early nineties.

First step was to collect dimension and put them down on card to act as a base for the model.

Next step was to vertically plank it. There are thin strips of wood which run vertically which I was unable to do with wood due to the inability to cut wood that fine so I used twine run through PVA.

Looks shocking at this point doesn't it? It does improve. Next step was to do the doors and windows. I also slapped a bit of paint on.

Next step was to add pillars. There are five of these at the front of the building supporting the canopy. These are made from carved hardwood at the top and bottom and a plastic cylinder in the middle.

Next step was to attach the pillars.

After this the roof was done. I had a bit of a talk to Richard Johnson about this and he suggested wood painted to use as tiles. This was a long and laborious process however it was worth it. Bearing in mind that the roof is the part that will be seen the most often it is not an area to to skimp on detail. The lead capping was done with paper painted with acrylics. After instalation of the roof came the chimney, made from wood and plastic parts superglued togther.

Finally, I added the carved gables. So this is how it now looks. I still have a couple of adjustments to make like levelling it and weathering some parts. I will redo one of the pillars as it's a bit wonky but it's most of the way done.

This is how it now looks converted to a restaurant.

To see it as it was modelled go to this link. and this

I still have a few more details to get however haven't located where to get them from yet. I need a couple of etched brass weather vains and a couple of etched brass lamps to add on. Once these are on I can finish the main building. In the meantime I had better finish off the background scenics and platform detail.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 21 Jan 2009, 16:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>looking good there neil.

individual roof tiles makes such a hge difference to the look of a model. they are a real pig to do arnt they?! but its worth it in the end.

Peter

P.S. your bench is so clear and tidy. i am green with envy!
Thanks Peter. There's actually a few benches in there including a portable table I use when working on front of the TV, the kitchen work bench, the living room table and my garage work bench.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 22 Jan 2009, 04:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What can one say but excellent!

Now can imagine how the kriegslok will look next to it

By the way has it arrived?

Baykal
No it hasn't
I am getting a bit miffed as I know it has been released. I have had no word from Modelbahn Kramm about that or any of the other stuff I'm expecting (KPEV S9, Rheingold coaches, KPEV coaches amongst other stuff) so I'm left wondering.

It is funny you should mention it though Erkut as there actually is a BR01 147 just to the right of the photos as I had been running it on the shuttle lines.

Thanks for all the kind comments. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 22 Jan 2009, 19:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Feel no fret Neil, it will arrive but very late.
Funny, whatever I order from the UK it arrives within a week max. Anything I order from Kramm a minimum of one month ,sometimes even longer.
They are a bit slow in handling but in your case probably waiting for Roco to deliver to them.
You know I have visited them and know the owners personally, very friendly and decent bunch. They are in a very small town called Hilden near Düsseldorf. You should see their basement. Just like a huge sorting station of DHL or UPS, all international orders are sorted and packed.The shops main activity is actually to provide all international and domestic orders online.You seem to get lost downstairs. Upstairs is a different story,you turn into a zombie, bad for the wallet.

Baykal
I hope so Erkut. I think it has something to do with the German postal service. All my orders at least three weeks from notification to delivery whereas all UK is about a week.

I have dealt with them for about five years now and found them helpful and had no problems. One day I'd like to go on a pilgrimage there with a fully charged bank balance.

John, yes it is the Trix one. Yet another item due for December 2008.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
QUOTE (upnick @ 23 Jan 2009, 18:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great update Neil

Placing the roof tiles on reminds me of the laborious task i saw on a viaduct in 1/35 scale some year ago which had a height of three foot, the individual stones all hand cut several thousand were used in its construction i believe ...... the lengths we modellers will go to for realism

Sounds good Nick, you don't have any pictures do you?

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Recently I have been doing lots of smaller projects rather than big things. I felt that there had been many tasks that I needed to do that I had been putting off for a while that I needed to get round to. One of which was weathering my locos. When photographing a loco on the new BRMA sound demo layout I noted that what spoiled the picture, e.g. made it less real, was that it was clearly straight out the box; which it was, literally. I resolved to start weathering my stock immediately.

I have weathered quite a bit of rolling stock previously and had not yet done a loco. Probably due to the, "this loco cost me 200 quid and I'm reluctant to dowse it in gunk syndrome". Anyway I got over it. My first effort was my new Bachmann Class 47 with sound. I don't normally go for diesels but the reason I got this was because I was looking at a sound decoder for my Class 31 and found that the new Bachmann Class 47 cost only twelve quid more than the sound decoder for the 31 and would also save some time farting around installing the sound. Once I got the loco I had to paint up the add on detail parts. Unlike some of the Hornby diesels the loco didn't come with pre painted detailing parts so you have to check pictures and pain the ends the appropriate colours. Once this was done I applied various weathering powders till the required effect was achieved.

I had decided to do diesels first however due to an accident, fate determined that my BR52 Kreigslok would have to be next. Terrible shame. In war conditions these would not have been getting cleaned so they would have looked pretty grotty. Unfortunately there are few colour photos of that period so I have had to make do with what I could find. One thing I have found is that the red chassis and running gear of the German locos comes out really well with black turps based wash. It really highlights well the intricacies of the wheels brakes and underneath. The upper body and tender take the powders better. Giving a nice result.

I'm now getting onto the rolling stock hauled by the BR52. I have ordered a few items to add to this train but have been waiting a while for these. The plan now is to work my way through my previously neglected rolling stock and add on all the detailing parts I can and weather them appropriately.

Here's a few more shots of the BR52 on the BRMA sound demo layout to finish.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
QUOTE (john woodall @ 1 May 2009, 16:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The occupation of the scotish highlands is well under way I see~~~~ huge locomotive but only a unimog required?

great stuff

John

Still having difficulty sourcing tanks John, now trying to order the Artmaster ones as well as the Artitec
I did order that Leopold K5 so it has something serious to pull but it's out of stock too. Not having much luck.

QUOTE I have noticed the same. The two locos I have ordered off Hattons are on the way, albiet a week late from when my card was charged to when they actually said the parcel was on the way. From Modelbahn I recieved a conformation email but nothing else has happened and no charge has appeared on my card. I'll give it another week then I'll wizz them another email and see how that goes.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

The items may be out of stock Charles, usually they tell you what is directly available and what is on back order.

QUOTE I know that syndrome Neil.

When weathering a 300 euro Loco the brain resists the stroke of the brush that you do.
But eventually you get over it by practice.

Very good job on the diesel and Krieg.

Erkut
Yes I've got quite into it now.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Especially appreciated coming from the master of weathering.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Dave's right it is a half track.

Erkut I am using Carrs powders and some of RJ's new ones.

Charles, Yes WW2, I do have two flak cars but the demo layout is only 1.2 metres so not enough space to bring these out too. The train as run on my layout will have the flak cars at each end with wagons with Tiger tanks and other vehicles on it. I'd be interested in 1/87 tank sources if the quality is good. My difficulty has been sourcing 1/87 that is available. I have found two places that make resin ones, Art master and Artitec but have had no joy in getting them yet. I'm after the winter camo if possible as they are supposed to be headed for the eastern front.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 2 May 2009, 10:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil, righto Tiger 1's in winter camoflage. I take it that these tanks are being returned to the rear for repair as winter camoflage was applied at unit level as a vehicle was recieved. Another thing with the Tiger is that it has two types of tracks, one for normal use and a set for transport use. The tank as built, this applies to Tiger I and II, JagdTiger, Elephant, Panther, Jagdpanther and Brumbar, were all too wide to fit inside the loading gauge with the standard tracks fitted. On Tiger I and II, JagdTiger, Elephant, they had the outer set of road wheels removed and a special narrow set of tracks fitted for rail transport. On the Panther, JagdPanther and Brumbar only the narrow tracks were fitted. In the UK no tanks were moved by rail when the Ceturion was built as these were to wide for the loading gauge, even a Sherman was a tight squeeze. Matildas, Comets and Cromwells could be moved by rail but Churchill's I think went by truck. When I looked at your picture of the 52 the first thought that crossed my mind was that my uncle, who was an RAF II TAF pilot flying Typoons and Tempests would most likely have shot that train to bits.

Cheers
Charles Emerson
Queensland
Hi Charles, that was one of the reasons I was after the ArtMaster kit as it provides the extra tracks and wheels for the Tiger's. Previoulsy I had been on a hiding to nothing trying to find spare tracks etc to go with the Artitec tanks but now figure that the Art Master is the way to go as then I get everything I need to make a complete wagon load. Subject to availability of course.

Getting 1/87 Typhoons might be tricky.

cheers

Neil

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
QUOTE (SRman @ 3 May 2009, 13:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a suggestion Neil, but why not try to get a 1/144 scale plane to model a bit of perspective, i.e. it would appear to be higher up and farther away.

p.s. Sorry I didn't actually get to talk to you much yesterday.
No worries Jeff, there was a lot going on. Bit busy. It was a nice afternoon though. Thanks for inviting me round.

A bunch of Lancasters would look good in 1/144 doing some high altitude bombing.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 4 May 2009, 02:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** You know better than that Alistair - by Fuhrer order, nothing on the Eastern front was allowed to even think of moving backwards..

Nice work on the weathering Neil!

Richard
Cheers Richard. It does run well backward and forward however for prototypical running if I had borne the direction in mind, maybe I should have done a loop so that it could continue in a forward direction.

Boy did that Austrian bloke with the moustache make some poor decisions!

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 4 May 2009, 15:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** You said: Boy did that Austrian bloke with the moustache make some poor decisions!""

Fortunately!!! If he'd listened to his generals, it might have been a very very long war.....

Richard
If he'd listened to his generals my German would be significantly better than it currently is!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.