Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Testing gradients on my On30 study layout prior to laying track. The gradient as shown is 3.5% a little steeper than I need so I thought i'd try one of my Forney's
up the gradient as test. I will comfortably pull the six cars shown up the gradient from a standing start on the middle of the gradient on a throttle setting of 1
or in non DCC terms super slow crawl. The radius is 24", even more impressive. I'm delighted !

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 20 Jun 2007, 19:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Testing gradients on my On30 study layout prior to laying track. The gradient as shown is 3.5% a little steeper than I need so I thought i'd try one of my Forney's
up the gradient as test. I will comfortably pull the six cars shown up the gradient from a standing start on the middle of the gradient on a throttle setting of 1
or in non DCC terms super slow crawl. The radius is 24", even more impressive. I'm delighted !

I do not have one but they seem an excellent model from what I have seen of a friends and good to hear that you can get prototypical slow speeds

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The geared engines the Climax and the Shay don't perform as well on steep gradients, there's probably too much backlash in the gears, I would restrict them to 2% and less. The layouts been moved again, and I'm busy extending the running area - more woodwork.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Up to this point the Forney, shay & climax and a Broadway 2-8-0. The three conventional drives produce best results with the Forney's way out in front on the haulage and sound front. If you look under the Shay and the Climax they have crown gears driven by plastic prop shafts, all very fine engineering, but on a gradient it does make them a bit lumpy, particularly when descending. BTW I'm not knocking them just saying they perform better on shallow gradients. The Shay is better than the climax in my perception. The Tsunami decoder fitted to the Forney is simply outstanding, I'm not that impressed with the Broadway but it works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts