Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure whether this is the right place but....

I've just been to my local model shop, and they've got loads of On30 American logging stuff. At the moment I am in the track laying stage of a British outline model railway, so my first question is, "Can I keep my existing track if it uses 2nd & 3rd radius curves?" My next question is, "Are there any other manufacturers of On30 other than Spectrum?" and finally, "What is On30?"

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi there i model 0-16.5 the british equivlent but tht is to 2ft gauge oppesed to american 0n30 which repersents 3ft gauge on 16.5mm track. there a few kit manfufactures tht i knw of Backwards miniatures
0n30 kit tht i ave done is frm boulder vally: http://www.hometown.aol.com/On30resinkits/ thy are nice kit espieclly if u hant done kits or just somthing to tinker with. You buy the cab from them and thn add your own diesel chassie of choice ive done the centre cab based on the bachmann 44 tonner.
Also EDM models in york they are one of the main suppilers for 7mmNGA whitch so happens im member and thy usally cover other the pond stuff hopefully this has answered some the question.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE "What is On30?"

it stands for: O - narrow gauge - 30" . It's a bit of a mishmash but the loco's by Bachmann are fantastic for the price. Of course there are other manufacturers and many modellers kit bash and scratch build. It's a great fun gauge and most loco's will negotiate 2/3rd radius curves. It's also the fastest growing gauge in model railways, made up of baby boomers like me, who have taken to it because they can see what their doing. There's loads on the net, and the On30 conspiracy on Yahoo groups is a great place to start. Some modeller use Peco 16.5 track which is the same span as H/O 00 but with a different sleeper spacing,
but there is a nice choice of track out there including the option to build your own.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As others have already said, On30 is American O scale narrow gauge and is available from Bachmann. The actual scale is slightly smaller than UK O scale as it is 1/4in to one foot (1:48) instead of 7mm to one foot (1:43) but as the American prototype is often so much bigger you don't notice the very slight difference in scale most of the time. As well as the Bachmann range there are other ready to run locos available but they tend to be rather expensive limited editions like the C19 which is £345. Rolling stock is available in plastic or resin kits from manufacturers such as Chivers Finelines and Boulder Valley Models. Many buildings are built from wooden kits such as Banta.

A lot of this is available by mail order from Paul Martin at EDM Models who has a web site at www.ngtrains.com This is only a part time business and he doesn't have a shop. However Paul is at all of the major Narrow Gauge shows such as Swanley and Shepton as well as some events for the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association and the Slim Gauge Circle. I help Paul with his show stand and this weekend we are at Stafford.

Hope this helps

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts