Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run on two baseboards eventually, but I have not got room to put both of them exactly together so my idea is to have a bridge to enable the trains to go from one to another, it will not be a long bridge or out of gauge but it will serve a purpose of getting over the space problem.

A good idea or not so good ? Will it work ? Has it ever been done ?

Advice if possible please.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say there is not room to put them exactly together....I am therefore assuming that there is something large in the way - for example a chimney breast.

If the gap is not excessive then a bridge could be used, but thought would have to be given to justifying it's existence in the overall scheme of things.

I think a better answer could be given if we have a little more background to the problem though.

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I guess what you're after is a 'bridging' section.....much as one might find spanning a doorway or window?

all it needs to be is fairly rigid, ie doesn't 'sag' in the middle......but doesn't need to be wide......it needs to accomodate the width of track plus a tad more.....

it can be arranged as a lifting system, ie hinged at one end to one of the boards.....or if that isn't convenient, then simply devise a 'slot-in' securing system.....maybe something like a 'ledge' at the facing board ends, with perhaps something like a bit of wood to lock the 'bridge' into place?

getting juice across can be as simple, or sophisticated as you like......plugs and fancy coiled wires....or simply use sliding fishplates?

you could even arrange some scenics?

if you create your bridging piece as, for example, and 'L' shape in cross section, this would assist in rigidity...and give you something to place a backscene onto?

needn't be more than a few inches wide to be effective.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 29 Apr 2008, 15:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say there is not room to put them exactly together....I am therefore assuming that there is something large in the way - for example a chimney breast.

If the gap is not excessive then a bridge could be used, but thought would have to be given to justifying it's existence in the overall scheme of things.

I think a better answer could be given if we have a little more background to the problem though.

Regards

Well I have only got part of the loft(sadly) and in the way is the corner of a water tank, and pipes going in to it so I want to get over those.But I think I have "cracked" it now, thanks anyway.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (alastairq @ 29 Apr 2008, 20:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I guess what you're after is a 'bridging' section.....much as one might find spanning a doorway or window?

all it needs to be is fairly rigid, ie doesn't 'sag' in the middle......but doesn't need to be wide......it needs to accomodate the width of track plus a tad more.....

it can be arranged as a lifting system, ie hinged at one end to one of the boards.....or if that isn't convenient, then simply devise a 'slot-in' securing system.....maybe something like a 'ledge' at the facing board ends, with perhaps something like a bit of wood to lock the 'bridge' into place?

getting juice across can be as simple, or sophisticated as you like......plugs and fancy coiled wires....or simply use sliding fishplates?

you could even arrange some scenics?

if you create your bridging piece as, for example, and 'L' shape in cross section, this would assist in rigidity...and give you something to place a backscene onto?

needn't be more than a few inches wide to be effective.

Brilliant many thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts