Model Railway Forum banner
141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
The level change to the road in the backscene is small enough to have an unguarded level crossing?

David

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
There are several issues here as I see it:

1) The backscene has presumably been mounted higher on the wall so that the buildings printed on it appear 'behind' the foreground buildings (that's ok)
2) The railway track going behind the foreground buildings is preventing sensible solutions!
3) Some form of sensible visual perspective needs to be maintained (which is what we want)

Possible solutions:

1) If it wasn't for the railway track behind the foreground buildings, I'd probably be inclined to just continue the row of foreground buildings - the effect of the background behind them would be the same
2) On the left hand end:
- I think you could get away with putting trees/bushes behind the railway track and in front of the backscene. It only needs to be high enough to hide the bottom of the backscene and it needs to be thick enough not to be seen through
- An embankment with some bushes on it would work
- A retaining wall along the back of the railway with the ground on top just level with the 'picture' and bushes on the ground above it
3) On the right hand end:
- Remove the 'road' (it doesn't add any realism) and fill the whole area in front and behind the back railway track with dense bush and trees, not too high, but high enough to hide the bottom of the back scene

General comments:

1) You've painted yourself into a corner with this one!
2) This is a classic situation which can be avoided by 'designing' the surroundings/countryside first and then fitting the railway into it - which is what happens in real life. When this approach is applied, you'll get a much more natural appearance than the 'fit the countryside around the railway' approach and you'll find that you won't have 'difficult' areas to deal with

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Another view of the right hand corner, yes this is an easier fix, and I expect I will run more buildings to the right but likely add a road going behind the yellow grocery store that normally will not be seen and a row of cottages to the right built for gas works workers, in the days before council, houses businesses threw up workers cottages, I am also likely to change the corner by trying some N gauge R4 curves and then line up for the back line through the gas works main building.

I also will add an AA and an RAC signs to the crown as these began to appear before WW1, the AA van is visiting to check up likely the bar, som e quality control there then.

Thanks for the comments and taking the time to consider these matters. Graham sorry to say you are right but I think I have enough ideas to slip out of these situations, in the end it doesn't have to be perfect just look OK.

the lifting of the backscenes is deliberate and to add perspective, I am Ok with this generally, anyway thanks for your views always welcome.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Not done much lately so here is the forest area, looks a bit treeless just that I need a huge number of trees about another 100 or so, also some stumps where the loggers have been busy, there is now a Fowler B6 crane engine - traction style - to help the logging operation, just close to me some real logging is going on, hundreds of logs stacked up but the woods all look the same as before! so again needs a lot of trees, I was not going to bother with this area but the little people seemed to think otherwise!

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
The other end of this view above where the logging operation will be based looks like this looking across Hawkcombe halt, the village beyond the transhipment area has been left and this will be variously mud and bits of wood, a Fowler B6 crane traction engine has arrived to tackle this work so the next batch of photos will show this.

Other news ref the right back corner, I have acquired the R4 N gauge curve and this lines up very nicely so that will be fitted in the next few days

As above though I need more trees!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
The line that goes off to Porlock Weir ends here behind Hawkcombe village, this view looking back towards Porlock, I had a few tree issues as the clearance was too tight with the bogie coaches so had to swap some around. The bright trees are a chinese effort and I actually resprayed them to get the bright look toned down, I need more but hesitate to buy more of these.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Just working on the area to the left of the gas works with construction of gas works row, (behind the fish train) I have fitted the N scale R4 curve and this works nicely and now lines up nicely with the back line through the mill. Cannot find a good shot so this'll have to do.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts

David

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Ok so another similar view, I hav e left this area as reaching across completed near modelling can cause damage but I throw in a photo of a loco, Baldwin Bridget tows the insul train takes oysters and fish to Minehead for shipment to Billingsgate.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
OK - back to the left corner and the town above, I have devised a solution and acquired the necessary kit needed to bash into shape and I think it will work quite well. You'll have to wait to see the results and truthfully although I like the idea it may not come out right. The photo shows looking back down the wall to the corner and shows a perspective you could never see if you visited my railway shed.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Julian one thing here these bogie wagons are really good, the cream insul vans are from Bachmann and the 8 ton open wagons from Peco, both types are great but expensive in fairness the Peco L&B vans and open wagons are also good but need some weight adding and here a car balance 5 gram weight is useful. Poorer wagons are the Peco bolsters, cheap and cheerful, and the hoppers which fall off the track instanto.The bogie wagons are very good in contrast so I am saving up for some more.

lurking here are lesser units posing out of the way.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Well I have built the gap filler, not sure it doesn't need a height reduction so photo to follow, in the meantime hope you like this photo of the main station at Porlock.

·
C55
2,457 Posts
Porlock suits the low level shots very well and gives them a nice atmosphere.

BTW, do those Bachmann insulated vans have a sort of pivoting single axle, attached to the coupling? I bought a similar looking one, but military, not insulated, one and I'm not quite sure what to do about the axles {tighten them, loosen them??}.

J

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Jiulian I will let you know about the insul vans I am not sure but they do run well and do so as well when being pushed and that is always a good sign. I am late back today and will check them as soon as I can.

I have found this shot at low level of the goods yard, goods shed and across to the gas works entrance.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Julian as you wished to know the Bachmann insul vans are now real bogie wagons here is the proof, ran thewm this morning and good they are - but not cheap!

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Julian these are not a genuine wagon, they were the war department ROD design used in the trenches and then went ton civilian use in various places but none were on the L&B as it had stock of its own, I do not need them as SR either and I know if you rub with meths Bachmann loco numbers come off so I may try this with one side, they are nice though and the side doors open as well. As I wanted a fish/oyster train to work between Porlock Weir and Minehead then they are just the thing so I am happy with these.

141 - 160 of 196 Posts