Model Railway Forum banner
161 - 180 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Now then to the main event, I have come up with this idea of of an over road arch, I did wonder about the new Metcalfe castle but they have not appeared as yet as a sort of Skipton castle approach then there was another option but again due to a non ability to be able to get them I decided to try this old Superquick effort.

Now the option is to whether I should cut it down from 2 upper stories to one and remove the top level sort of more in keeping with the surrounding buildings, the inspiration is Totnes where in the High Street such an arch still exists, also places like Beverley and the bar, Southampton bar gate and others provide this sort of feature including St John's gate in London.

I rather think a civic building to the left might do the job as well and finish the area off so the blacksmith may have to relocate, still thinking about this.

On another point Exe ran a whole load of circuits yesterday without mishap! - gosh!!

Anyway here is the new archway.
\

·
C55
2,457 Posts
Thank you for the information on the Fish vans, that's even more interesting still.

Re your idea for a civic building, an undercover market might serve the purpose and be see-through enough for the background to be be in there, too. Looking at the arches, next to the stable, reminded me of the main entrance to the one in Exeter [still there??] which was Roman / Greek [?] pillared up some steps. Barnstaple also had an indoor market, sans pillars, but lost of sliding barn doors, to play with. I wouldn't have to be market day, but could contain enough stalls and other brik-a-brak to cover the lower bit of the background.

J

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Great idea Julian, only not sure if there is something that I could kit bash to make it work, perhaps a matching ground floor would work I'll have a measure up and a think about it.

another view of the archway gives an idea of what effect might be needed, trouble is I need columns to 2 sides so possible to have 4 along the front but needs 6+ down the side, any views on this?

·
C55
2,457 Posts
The Barnstaple one was rather more basic with a much smaller, rather more modern, version of the Exeter pillars, with brick walls. Something of a reflection of the existing archway, perhaps single, might fit the bill. Barnstaple had pillars [stone / concrete] as sides to the door frame, more of a suggestion than the Exeter statement. Maybe smaller single door frame replicas of the adjacent arches?

If you model the Barnstaple sliding doors, as well, then the view can be as open / closed as you wish. Just a few thoughts really, as the theme is probably quite broad.

J

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
The arched building looks good. I think its developers would have bought out / evicted the blacksmith.

David

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, In suspect akin to the Porlock station building I will scratch built something that at least vaguely matches the archway building to the left, I like the idea of a market hall so that maybe the way to go. So looks like the Farrier will be kicked out after all!

Meanwhile over the other side of Porlock lies 'Gas Works Row' and 4 houses have appeared for key workers in the Gas works pretty standard Metcalfe houses without embellishments as well this is afterall a rural gas works!

Possibly another two would complete the row the end one with bay windows for a 'manager' we'll see how that goes then to finish the corner completely

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
OK so the corner looks a bit like this, the return loop has been relaid to an N gauge R4 which is a better curve than I had before and this runs nicely even with the Manning Wardles.

Where the yellow shop is will be a road then the shop and another building before the row of terrace houses

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Looks good to me.

David

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Just shows the N gauge R4 curve that replaced the home made not so consistent curve, even the Heljans like these jobbies.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
I have done a bit more to the gas works terrace and added two more houses but I have kit bashed them somewhat so they are a bit unique, Metcalfe kits are great but seeing rows of standard kits whilst in reality there are often variations.

After this decided to run the main railway so did not have a go at the 'civic building'

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Like the Fowler

QUOTE Seems a very quiet period on the forum
I've been building the Rathaus in Lindau by Faller....

David

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Well the last job done is the added two houses to Gas Works Row, so bit fed up of the Metcalfe standard buildings nice as they are, so I kit bashed these the one to the right of the left pair has a room over the passageway in back, the left end house having extra rooms on the left with the bays thus suitable for the General Manager whilst the next one is for a Deputy and then 4 houses for the Foremen.

On the corner I will add some trees to cover up the suspiciously modern cars in the background, looks like a Hillman Imp and a Singer Gazelle which would be a bit modern for 1926!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Nice work. The terrace looks good. The chimneys will finish it!

David

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Thanks for the comments and support, nice if some of our other watchers would let me know what they think.

I have a view here looking along the main street which for a change is in focus. I h never set out to d such a job on the scenery and general view but I have felt it worth the effort and as I see it come together I am happy with what I have come up with.

161 - 180 of 196 Posts