Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm projecting a diorama about Stansted express. Which is the most suitable catenary? Somewhere I have read SF117, SF116 and SF575 by Sommerfeldt, is it correct?
Thank you and sorry for my bad english ( I'm Italian! )

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

Apart from Sommerfeldt there is also the Viessmann system, which is cheaper, and I also came across a system from Poland recently, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the company.

Regards

John

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If your sole purpose is for decorative means, i.e it will only serve as catenary for yr lectric loco's without the ability of having the voltage from above in your layout, I would strongly recommend "Electrotren Catenary". I admit its nothing near to the Viessmann and Sommerfeldt catenary systems but is very cheap.
This is a Spanish company which now is owned by the Hornby group. I have seen their cateners in the Hornby stand in Nurnberg Toy fair and was quite impressed by the looks of it.Since it is now owned by Hornby belive you can easily obtain them.

Cheers
Baykal

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd thoroughly agree with Baykal. Electrotren is very good value for money. Around 50p per mast.

The best one to go for, for British outline, is the Electrotren 241 Mast (which is actually an SNCF H-girder type, but easily adaptable for UK). They can also be adapated to form Twin masts. I know from experience because I've got over 80 of them on my layout!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the answers!
I know very well Electrotren trains but not their catenary! For the italian shops now that it is distributed by Hornby is not a good thing but I go often in England ( next time form 24th to 27th April ) !!!!
Scooter can you explain how I can adapt for UK the Electrotren 241 Mast?
Thank you again

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have a look at the Hobbex Catenary system. It is well priced, adaptable and easy to install. Go to
www.modelleisenbahn-haertner.de where you will find the complete range as well as some pictures of the catenary installed on a layout.

I also found Modelleisenbahn Haertner to be a reliable and trustworthy Mail Order supplier.

Good luck with your project.

Kind regards.

Johan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Must be my lucky day, as I am going in the direction of 1.5kv electrics for part of my layout and I have been wondering about a catenary system. I am due to receive my first kit built EM2 from MSL (DCC fitted)

Thanks everybody for that info.

Regards,

Hugh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been in London last weekend ( the bombs days!!). I have "visited" the Model Zone shop in High Holborn and when I have asked for a catenary they look at me as an alien!! They don't sell Sommerfeldt, Viessmann or Electrotren catenary!!! no poles, no masts no cables!!! On next October 19th I will be in London again so someome can suggest me others shops? Or a web shop that sell catenary ?
Thank you very much and sorry again for my bad english!!!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Nascar38,

For Viessmann and Sommerfeldt try :

http://www.modellbahn-kramm.com/index.cfm

I usually shop there. Highly recommended.

As for Electrotren, I am sure there are a lot of London'ers among us who can guide you to one of the best shops in London.

Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (nascar38 @ 5 Jul 2007, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been in London last weekend ( the bombs days!!). I have "visited" the Model Zone shop in High Holborn and when I have asked for a catenary they look at me as an alien!! They don't sell Sommerfeldt, Viessmann or Electrotren catenary!!! no poles, no masts no cables!!! On next October 19th I will be in London again so someome can suggest me others shops? Or a web shop that sell catenary ?
Thank you very much and sorry again for my bad english!!!

Your English is fine - "Model Zone" are a general model shop & there are now no longer any models shops in central London that sell model railways & know what they are talking about !

If you can let us know what part(s) of London you are going to we may be able to help - otherwise we can do mail order for Viessmann (send me a private message for further details.)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi nascar, welcome to the forum.

If you have interested in the electrotren catenary, you can contact with David of Modelismo Villaverde. (http://www.modelismovillaverde.com) at [email protected]

If you have any problem with the language (i don't know if he speak english or italian. Spanish shure
) i can help you.

In spain we have another catenary, more detailed tahn electrotren, but more expensive too. Is the Tecnotren catenary. http://www.tecnotren.com

Best regards from Spain,
Oscar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts