Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noted correspondence at MRE Mag where it is claimed the author is having a hard time finding OO figures that are not either walking, running, climbing stairs, waving hands or flags, levering objects and wants figures that are simply standing and chatting. Also a lack of female figures and children is noted.

This definitely was not an issue in the 1950's and 1960's as Hornby Dublo, Triang, Merit and Airfix all produced figures that were simply standing with 50% of them being women and children. Peco have taken on most of the Merit range although the figures appear to be the action type and it does appear that all the Hornby figures are action type.

It does seem to be that simple standing figures have been entirely overlooked by the current generation of figure manufacturers.

Any suggestions other than look on ebay for old Hornby Dublo, Triang, Merit and Airfix figures!

Issues with HO figures is that they are significantly smaller than OO figures and don't look "British" and as a result they are not everybodys cup of tea.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
OO figures would be 14% taller than HO figures purely on scale and given that the average Brit is taller than the average European that difference could be 15-20% in reality. The Dutch are the tallest nation in Europe so if HO figures are modelled on the Dutch you could probably get away with using them as OO however they would look very lean.

Its not so obvious with buildings as European buildings generally are bigger anyway than British so the HO/OO thing is not so much of an issue if you wish to use HO buildings on an OO layout.

With figures my own personal view is that the difference in size is obvious and typical HO figures on a layout make OO locomotives and rolling stock look gigantic!

However there are some nice HO figures so the direction to go with this makes it a very difficult decision.

There are those who want to use OO figures only though and simply won't budge on this and I respect their reasons for this.

Happy modelling
Gary

PS That Bachmann OO figure looks like its been modelled on somebody at Bachmann! I had forgotten that Bachmann are now offering figures.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.