Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I needed a model compressor for my layout and found that its something that dosnt seem to exist!! So i Scratchbuilt one with the help of parts out of my bit box. Thought i would post it up for people to see.

Also here is a picture of it in situ at my little roadworks site - the other vehicles and the people havent been weathered yet and the shed wall isnt there at the moment as the shed is being added to it ( its a very very large shed and is being built as a modern shed is built - just in minature!!!!

Hope you all like it!!

Nikki

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Very nice

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Nice bit of modelling. However, if it's an air compressor driving a pneumatic drill, as suggested by the large tank at the end of the compressor, there should only be one hose from the compressor to the drill. 'Compressors' with twin hose to a drill or other work-tool are hydraulic 'power-packs' and do not need an air reservoir; the 'driving fluid' is oil rather than air and the second hose is needed to return the 'used' oil from the tool back to the power-pack for reuse.

Hope that's clear.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
495 Posts
very good .I like the exposed drainage ,A neat touch .We dont often see much of whats supposed to be beneath our layouts .

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 7 Oct 2008, 22:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice bit of modelling. However, if it's an air compressor driving a pneumatic drill, as suggested by the large tank at the end of the compressor, there should only be one hose from the compressor to the drill. 'Compressors' with twin hose to a drill or other work-tool are hydraulic 'power-packs' and do not need an air reservoir; the 'driving fluid' is oil rather than air and the second hose is needed to return the 'used' oil from the tool back to the power-pack for reuse.

Hope that's clear.

Regards,
John Webb

Whoops .... Lol maybe i will have to fill in one of the holes !!! My husband said the same thing yet i thought i was right !!! Thankyou for clarifying that for me !! have to say sorry to my babe now !!

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Fab effort there Nikki. Can I suggest just one additional thing though, does it have an exhaust pipe? I didn't see one in the photos but it would need one for sure. I am very impressed with your obviously extensive parts box though!

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
Hi Nikki

Nice bit of modelling - very impressive.

Not much help now you've done it but this unpainted one is available from Langley Models for just over £10

Mike

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi All

Excellent Work Nikki!

Looks like the Langley models has an Intake at the top and Exhaust at the bottom

Here in the Antipodes our Compressors and Gensets have an Exhaust stack (with Rain hat) coming up through the cover
at the opposite end to the intake

Regards Zmil

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Nice work Nikki - it reminds me of the total lack of a tar tanker when we wanted one for the road resurfacing on SL. Raid the bits box and away we go.

Regards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts