Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I just started building a OO gauge shunting layout. I have two locos and four wagons. The newest wagon, from Bachmann, has the NEM couplers. My problem is the hooks are closer to the bar than the others, including a new Hornby loco fitted with NEMs. The Bachmann wagon is a pain in the butt when trying to manually uncouple by lifting the hooks. Question: can I get Hornby replacements and if so, which ones?
Thanks.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Before spending any money, you might want first want to consider the Kadee coupler. Comes designed for magnetic uncoupling, can also be manually uncoupled with a slightly modified wooden skewer or similar, inserted vertically from above, which is a damn sight easier than lifting tension lock hooks. Kadee #18 and #19 are typically what's required on NEM coupler pocket equipped OO models.

If you want to stay with miniature tension locks barter is possible. I have redundant Hornby, because I have standardised on the Bachmann pattern for my freight stock. (For greatest operational reliability a single maker's type is best, doesn't matter which one, and I have vastly more Bachmann stock than Hornby.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm an 81-year old geezer from the States, so I'm familiar with Kadees and use them on my Z scale trains. I was attracted to the OO gauge because it's a nice size and the 4-wheel wagons make for a compact shunting layout. Mine is planned for a 12x36 inch shelf I bought at the lumber yard. I have three sections of Peco flex and expect delivery today of a pair of Hornby points. I'm about to order two more.

I purchased a new Hornby 0-4-0 Peckett and a used Hornby 0-6-0 J83. Both are a dream come true as far as slow running goes. The J83 especially is unbelievable. I'm in Heaven!!! My wagons so far are two Wrenns and a Hornby with the older tension lock couplings. The Wrenns are great. They do not budge when the loco nudges them to couple. The Hornby needs a bigger bump to couple. My fourth wagon is the Bachmann non-ventilated BR Bauxite, weathered. It's beautiful, but the shorter hook is out of keeping with the others, so unless I can change the hook I'm going to sell or swap it. The postage between the US and UK is outrageous, so I'll probably post it on eBay.

·
Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon’s Edge, living on The Edge! 😀
1,292 Posts
There is a wide variety of couplings that use the NEM “fishtail” fitting that can be exchanged for the Bachmann narrow tension lock NEM fitting couplings.

Hornby do produce a NEM pocket Fitting version of the large tension lock couplings.

Also a Medium width loop version. This being based on the original screw fitted Mainline (Palitoy) couplings, later used on Dapol and early Bachmann models.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
... I have three sections of Peco flex and expect delivery today of a pair of Hornby points. I'm about to order two more...
You might want to hold off on that second order. Hornby's points have a large dead crossing, and it's a matter of luck whether a loco with pick up on just four wheels makes it across when moving slowly. Best to assess with the first two to see if they work for you. Peco have a slightly larger point described as 'small radius' in their live crossing 'electrofrog' format. A much better piece in my experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a wide variety of couplings that use the NEM “fishtail” fitting that can be exchanged for the Bachmann narrow tension lock NEM fitting couplings.

Hornby do produce a NEM pocket Fitting version of the large tension lock couplings.

View attachment 19996

Also a Medium width loop version. This being based on the original screw fitted Mainline (Palitoy) couplings, later used on Dapol and early Bachmann models.

View attachment 19997

You might want to hold off on that second order. Hornby's points have a large dead crossing, and it's a matter of luck whether a loco with pick up on just four wheels makes it across when moving slowly. Best to assess with the first two to see if they work for you. Peco have a slightly larger point described as 's
Great. Thanks.
You might want to hold off on that second order. Hornby's points have a large dead crossing, and it's a matter of luck whether a loco with pick up on just four wheels makes it across when moving slowly. Best to assess with the first two to see if they work for you. Peco have a slightly larger point described as 'small radius' in their live crossing 'electrofrog' format. A much better piece in my experience.
Thanks for the info and thanks for the warning. I initially bought the Peco small radius insul frogs only to find out the radius is 24 inches. The Peckett runs through them nicely.

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
The Wrenn wagons are old, not been around new since about 1988, I have about 500 of them and they are excellent, pizza cutter wheels stay on the track, cast alloy chassis adds enough weight to stay on the track and the couplings are metal and fix onto two lugs at each end and this all gives consistancy, modern wagons are not the same, sometimes more accurate but hey when you have underscale track as it is HO, code 100. so your american stuff aught to be good enough, UK firm Peco make code 83 for US and this is fine except you need a lot more length.

Anyway stock up with Wrenn wagons whilst you can, in fact More Wrenn sell new ones now.

So as to other couplings there are some shown above but there are so many, however they should all couple with each other but some are droopy, some are different heights and if there is a difference it'll be in the mix somewhere. If you are doing a lot of shunting then good luck, I tend to keep my stock coupled up semi-permanently.

Anyway any issues ask away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Wrenn wagons are old, not been around new since about 1988, I have about 500 of them and they are excellent, pizza cutter wheels stay on the track, cast alloy chassis adds enough weight to stay on the track and the couplings are metal and fix onto two lugs at each end and this all gives consistancy, modern wagons are not the same, sometimes more accurate but hey when you have underscale track as it is HO, code 100. so your american stuff aught to be good enough, UK firm Peco make code 83 for US and this is fine except you need a lot more length.

Anyway stock up with Wrenn wagons whilst you can, in fact More Wrenn sell new ones now.

So as to other couplings there are some shown above but there are so many, however they should all couple with each other but some are droopy, some are different heights and if there is a difference it'll be in the mix somewhere. If you are doing a lot of shunting then good luck, I tend to keep my stock coupled up semi-permanently.

Anyway any issues ask away.
Thanks. I've been stocking up on the Wrenns as you suggest. I like that they are heavier and the bodies are easily removed and the wheels are not so freewheeling. I can couple them up gently without them rolling away.

I went with code 100 thinking that OO was a bit larger than HO, but I see now I could easily have gone code 83. No matter. I get my kicks out of seeing a loco creep with easy starts and stops.

~ Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts