Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,922 Posts
Before spending any money, you might want first want to consider the Kadee coupler. Comes designed for magnetic uncoupling, can also be manually uncoupled with a slightly modified wooden skewer or similar, inserted vertically from above, which is a damn sight easier than lifting tension lock hooks. Kadee #18 and #19 are typically what's required on NEM coupler pocket equipped OO models.

If you want to stay with miniature tension locks barter is possible. I have redundant Hornby, because I have standardised on the Bachmann pattern for my freight stock. (For greatest operational reliability a single maker's type is best, doesn't matter which one, and I have vastly more Bachmann stock than Hornby.)

·
In depth idiot
7,922 Posts
... I have three sections of Peco flex and expect delivery today of a pair of Hornby points. I'm about to order two more...
You might want to hold off on that second order. Hornby's points have a large dead crossing, and it's a matter of luck whether a loco with pick up on just four wheels makes it across when moving slowly. Best to assess with the first two to see if they work for you. Peco have a slightly larger point described as 'small radius' in their live crossing 'electrofrog' format. A much better piece in my experience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts