Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
QUOTE I've found that I dont really need to solder the dropper wires to the Power-bus, just wrapping them around it 3 times works perfectly well.

It may work today, but I can foresee problems in the future as the exposed copper oxidises. Get a "hunky" soldering iron, heat up the joints and let a reasonable amount of solder flow in. It may take an hour or two but it will be good insurance against frustration in the future if the connections become flaky.

The rest looks great. I'm not completely convinced by Scale Scenes buildings but the bridges and other large scale brick constructions are very good.

I particularly like the backscene. How did you produce it?

David

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
QUOTE although with the wires wrapped round as shown and then soldered it will be a right pain to detach them neatly were it to be necessary in future.
I would just snip off the dropper wire which was no longer required and then make good the bare part on the main bus wire with insulating tape or heat shrink.

On my layout the main bus goes along the inside edge of the support frame. There are "chocolate" block screw connectors at one end of the frame so there is a connection every 600mm. A feeder is taken off that and then this supplies all the dropper wires in that section. I find this is more flexible and suits the fact that I change my mind a lot.

David

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
Have you considered painting the sides of the rail with a rust / track coloured paint? It's a painful job, I do it with a small brush, but worth the effort IMHO. It reduces the amount of reflection and the quality of the rest of what you have done deserves it -
. The track looks a little too "pristine" at present. For an idea of what it might look like, there's a photo in my blog entry "Taking cover" which shows painted but unballasted track. The one thing to watch out for is paint getting into the rail joiners. That's not a problem for me anymore as I don't rely on them for electrical transmission anymore; that job is done by the supply bus and droppers.

David

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
QUOTE The rails have now been weathered!

Used dark rusty red, then quickly went over it with sleeper grime, as the red was too red for me!
Excellent job; it makes such a difference.
I know what you mean about being "too red", I've had that problem in the past.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.