Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I am new here, having just registered and am hoping for some advice please.

I want to build a layout and have a space available of 9.5ft by 7.5ft in my shed (10ft by 8ft but had it lined and insulated). I like both OO and N gauge and have collected a few locos and sets in both gauges. My dilemma is that I cannot decide between OO and N for the layout and would like some advice. I have a track plan for both scales (or gauges) and would like to ultimately go for DCC operation. I like the N option as it gives the ability to run reasonably long trains, but I prefer the detail of OO locos. I am mainly interested in GWR Steam but I also like some of the diesels that are being made.

I don't want to mix the two different scales (as has been suggested) as I am really looking to rule one out of the equation - so which one do I go for?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Going Loco

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 30 May 2007, 19:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's a tough one. I model OO, I like the extra detail and I prefer long (6 coaches is long?) trains but I have plenty of length in the loft to do so. You can have a perfectly enjoyable OO layout in the size you have available. You just need to decide what really matters to you, so draw up a list of features and order them in priority. If long trains and graceful curves come near the top of the list I think you're looking at N gauge.

David

Thanks for your reply David. I do like the idea of long trains, but some of the N gauge offerings on the steam side of things are a bit short of the mark. OO does seem to offer a more detailed choice.

As N gauge is getting better all the time though, do you think that it will eventually overtake OO in detail?

Cheers

Going Loco

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.