Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (Going Loco @ 31 May 2007, 23:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for your reply David. I do like the idea of long trains, but some of the N gauge offerings on the steam side of things are a bit short of the mark. OO does seem to offer a more detailed choice.

As N gauge is getting better all the time though, do you think that it will eventually overtake OO in detail?

I can't imagine so, simply because detail is always going to be easier to do and easier to see (so more worth doing) in the larger scale.

Most of the old Farish is fairly poor though the latest diesels and rolling stock are probably as good as their OO equivalents in terms of general appearance and visible detail. The 'narrow gauge' effect is also less in N than in OO (British N gauge is only 7.5% overscale for its track, OO is 14%).

Steam locos are harder to do well in the smaller scales as the wheels are almost always prominent and inevitably overscale. There haven't been any new steam locos from Farish yet, but Dapol's GWR locos seem to have been well received and the Peco Collett will appear at some stage.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 1 Jun 2007, 17:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>N is getting better (and more expensive!) all the time.
I can't help feeling that as houses get smaller and the loft comes ready fitted as essential living space, the inevitable consequence is that most people will only have room for an N gauge layout and this will drive an increase in product availability.

David
N allows a decent main line layout, with near-scale train lengths and generous curve radii, in a normal garage. This makes it much more likely to survive a house move!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.