Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
QUOTE (Going Loco @ 30 May 2007, 19:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My dilemma is that I cannot decide between OO and N for the layout and would like some advice. I have a track plan for both scales (or gauges) and would like to ultimately go for DCC operation. I like the N option as it gives the ability to run reasonably long trains, but I prefer the detail of OO locos.

N every time for me. Just dont be tempted to put twice as much track in just because you are working at half the scale (roughly). Use your 00 track plan but build it N. Stretch it out a little here and there for longer trains and use the same radius curves as you would in 00 so that the scale radius is doubled. Use the rest of the space for scenery so that you can truly model the railway in the landscape.

N is getting better (and more expensive!) all the time. Don't let anyone tell you DCC is a problem in N. It isn't with the likes of the Zimo MX620 and Lenz mini decoders. Insulated bushes are available from Digitrains and Gerry Spencer (Google) for Farish steam chassis. More and more N locos are designed to make decoder fitting easier, if not truly "DCC ready". The new Peco loco with DCC built in starts shipping next month.

Andrew

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.