Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I am looking for a station terminus kit, or ready built. I am only aware of the cardboard kits. I am particularly looking for something resembling an LNER Terminus, but have foudn nothing.

What is out there?

Cheers,
Alex

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I think that in terms of a terminus unless you make one up from scratch the only real option is to use the Hornby Terminus pack to create one (as suggested by George). It is remarkably good value when you work out what you get in the pack. Its really a question of whether you want canopies or not. You may be able to create one from a number of card kits or from the Skaledale range depending on whether it is to be a main terminus or a branch line terminus.

Hornby Dublo made a terminus station building a long time ago however these are very very collectable (££££ collectable!)

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
98 Posts
Steamranger,

The advice above is good. For myself though Im not sure what a generic LNER terminus is.

As I model Southern here's my solution.

Im looking at a fine pic in a book; in the caption it says:

The SER's Charing Cross Hotel was built above the main entrance to the station....opened in May 1865.

So the 'terminus' is = an entrance canopy+ a huge Neo Gothic Hotel + platforms.

mmmmm

What does York look like?

Does anybody sell a large Hotel in a box? And then bits a peices

Hope this thinking aloud helps.

TVBG

·
Registered
11 Posts
is the hornby station canopy preferable to the rather better looking Peco station canopy that Hattons have on their website. How does this integrate with the peco platforms? Does it just sit ontop?

The hornby one does seem abit basic, I would not use the buildings, just the platforms. Are they better than the Peco equivelant? How do the cardboard kits compare to the plastic ones when built, do they look realistic? Id love to see a picture of the Dublo station terminus you mentioned Gary, just for comparisson.

Cheers,
Alex

Edit: I found "A", im not sure if it is "the" Hornby Dublo Terminus on eBay.

eBay link

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi
Yes the ebay one is the Hornby terminus, but expect the price to go higher!

Plastic v Cardboard. Plastic will win most times if you view the building closely. However, the Mecalfe and Superquick card kits are very good and worth trying.

I personally prefer the Peco roofing kit over the Hornby version But that's my personal choice. Consideration needs to be given as to how you will access any derailed stock under an over roof? Lift it off and you could end up lifting 4-6 feet or more of roofing if your station is of any size!
I really like the Metcalfe terminus station and it has an air of LNER about it too.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
What is the size of this terminus to be?

You are not going to have a Kings Cross type terminus if you are only having 2 lines running in and out. The type of terminus building that Hornby offer is prototypical of the sort of terminus you might get at the end of a branch line to a small town. You can of course extend the platforms and canopies to any size you want.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
98 Posts
Agree with all the points made above. It depends on what size your Terminus is going to be.

The Fuller model suggested above is Bonn (?) and looks fantastic from the pics I have seen. But you will not get much change from 150 quid.

I must confess what I was trying to get at, and I may well have been wrong, was that you could easily buy a model of a smart turn of the century hotel... or two... or three and kit bash.

Having just flicked through some British mags, maybe even that is not such an easy option.

Flick through Walthers perhaps (Nice Neo classical terminus if LNER ever built them).

My dream terminus would look something like the Brighton Grand in my imagination.. and end up like Brighton Football ground with my building skills!

TVBG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hello all, and thank you for all your advice

The terminal is not going to be very large, however, it is intended to represent something on the scale of London or York or Edinburgh Waverley. The terminus will have something like 4 tracks running in and out. It makes no difference to me that a terminus with only 4 tracks cannot possibly represent something on the scale of Kings Cross.

I think that I am going to go for a hybrid of a few kits, with the metcalfe card kit for the main terminal building, as it does look very good, and possibly some Peco canopy's. Unless there is another option, that hasnt yet been voiced. Further, i am hopeless at scratch building ort kit bashing, so my options are further resricted.

Thank you, Cheers,
Alex

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello All,

I think I may have found a solution to my problem. I have located a kit from Vollmer that is very Anglo. The link to the photograph is below.l It is not very wide, but should suit my requirements for a London-esque, mainline terminal. It will have platform canopy's, utilising either the Faller or Vollmer kit for the canopy, and Peco for the platforms (possibly even the Peco roof kit, as it is slightly more british. The station will be raised to suit the hight of the Peco Platforms.

take a look

Vollmer Kit

Bring on the feedback!

Cheers, Greetings from Australia,
Alex

EDIT: Here are some pictures of the real "Bad Wimpfen" Station, the one modelled by Vollmer above. If you ask me, it looks like a building straight out of the Cotswolds!

My Webpage

·
Registered
98 Posts
That last building of yours is really something MMD,
will have a look at the link

Steamranger,

I like the Vollmer kit too. Dirty it up a little.
You know what though, never mind the East Coast Line. It reminds me, with those large bricks/stones of something you might see North of Lancaster on the West Coast!
I also looked at some of the bridges made by these companies and liked what I saw.

TVBG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello All,

Reynaulds have this kit in stock, for something like $96 American. I found it first on the Vollmer site, however it took about 2 hours to learn enough German to find the stations.

I am a sucker for the ECML and the LNER in general, so, as unprototypical as it is, I am going to buy the vollmer building and it will be my representation of a London terminus, with my country terminus most probably being the Skaledale country station, however GWR it appears. I am surprised something so very anglo is made by a german manufacturer!

The vollmer building will actuallly form the terminus buildiing, in the same style as Kings Cross. When I assemble to kit, I will leave off the platform ramps on either side, raise the building to peco/hornby platform height, and the platforms will extend outwards from this point. I think 4 platforms will fit, 3 in total, with the middle acting as an island, with platform canopies spanning the distance over the two tracks on either side. Tell me what you think if that makes any sense at all!

Cheers, greetings from Australia,
Alex

1 - 20 of 34 Posts