Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening, All. I am struggling to open up an Airfix GWR B-Set Coach 6896. It was made in HK in 1975 and is in great condition, so I don't want to damage it whilst I try to add lighting. What is the best way to open up this coach, please?

Attachments

·
In depth idiot
8,586 Posts
Product from Airfix GMR was usually clip together. (Since you have the bogies off the entire underside can be inspected for any screw heads, and release of these if present.)

I would start by trying to separate the underframe from the coach body. There may be visible clips in body colour protruding through the black underframe moulding, that's how the Airfix GMR wagons were assembled; if so release these, don't feel depressed if these break as the plastic can be brittle. The mouldings are usually sufficiently close fitting to hold together, and if not a couple of tiny dabs of solvent cement will do the job, I have been known to mark where these bond points are for future reference.

No clips? Then working in a scalpel blade into any gap you can find is my usual method. (If matters really get desperate, the way forward is to find a junk specimen and drop it from some height onto a concrete floor so you can see it from inside. Long ago a friend decided to try an air pistol slug into the vehicle underside for this purpose, and while you could see 'everything', most of it was in small pieces.)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Pretty sure the body sides are clip fitted into mouldings projecting from the chassis. You to run a blunt blade, finger nail, platsic card (whatever) at the jucntion of the sides and chasis akin nto getting into many modern diesels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Product from Airfix GMR was usually clip together. (Since you have the bogies off the entire underside can be inspected for any screw heads, and release of these if present.)

I would start by trying to separate the underframe from the coach body. There may be visible clips in body colour protruding through the black underframe moulding, that's how the Airfix GMR wagons were assembled; if so release these, don't feel depressed if these break as the plastic can be brittle. The mouldings are usually sufficiently close fitting to hold together, and if not a couple of tiny dabs of solvent cement will do the job, I have been known to mark where these bond points are for future reference.

No clips? Then working in a scalpel blade into any gap you can find is my usual method. (If matters really get desperate, the way forward is to find a junk specimen and drop it from some height onto a concrete floor so you can see it from inside. Long ago a friend decided to try an air pistol slug into the vehicle underside for this purpose, and while you could see 'everything', most of it was in small pieces.)
Many thanks, Julian. Much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts