Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the week after "one of those days" starting with water in the diesel causing me to take the van into the garage to be checked & then going back to my office & updating the anti-virus causing the network to fail..........................

I really needed something to help me unwind - normally I will go up to the workshop & play trains, just set them running & relax, maybe repair/modify something but it's the trains running that relaxes me. However, SL was still in the trailer so no "playtime" - it really made me realize just how therapeutic our hobby is.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 12 Jul 2008, 10:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>During the week after "one of those days" starting with water in the diesel causing me to take the van into the garage to be checked & then going back to my office & updating the anti-virus causing the network to fail..........................

I really needed something to help me unwind - normally I will go up to the workshop & play trains, just set them running & relax, maybe repair/modify something but it's the trains running that relaxes me. However, SL was still in the trailer so no "playtime" - it really made me realize just how therapeutic our hobby is.
Buongiorno Brian,

I couldn't agree more! There is definite theraputism to be had running trains, alas at the moment I can't do that as I'm still dithering about starting my Super Mega Hyper Ultra market layout, but in the mean time I've found decoder installation to be tremendously relaxing! Every chassis is a new challenge; where to squeeze the decoder in, how to connect the lights up, is there room for adding some tail lights, then getting it to perform as well as possible on the test track by adjusting the CVs etc. etc. Far from finding it an expensive chore to upgrade everything to DCC as I expected initially I'm about halfway there already with 30+ locomotives to do (I think I might sell one or two to save on buying so many decoders!). Yes it's expensive but not a chore yet...ask me again after I'd done an identical installation in six Hobbytrain Taurus locomotives though...!

I can't wait for the pleasure I know I'll get from watching them all in action on the wunderkindlayout in the near far future!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi All
Now that is what I miss the most at the moment
My Layout is all packed up in boxes
So all I can do is deside what to get rid of and what to install decoders in
I must admit when I set a few trains running around our previous layout
Just sitting there watching and listening to the trains on the track was very relaxing
Zmil

·
Registered
894 Posts
when they run right there is nothing better, when they don't...............

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 12 Jul 2008, 12:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when they don't...............
Ah - that's when I give up & have a relaxing bath (if I can get in the bathroom of course, I'm outnumbered by the ladies here..............)

·
Registered
642 Posts
I must admit normally I would agree with you all but with me being off for the last 8 months all the work I've been wanting to do is involving mainly heavy lifting and messing with cutting tools so I have had to give the layout a break. Then again I have 6 locos waiting to be chipped but alas no chips beacuse of a severe lack of funds due to being off.

I must say though that normally I just go into the shed and potter about normally listening to the football on the radio on an evening and i am as happy as larry.

When I eventually do get back on my feet I have no doubt that I will begin to enjoy doing what I love but at this time I am finding it hard to enjoy anything at the moment.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Therapeutic indeed.

At about 10pm last night (Saturday), I got an email with the .pdf proofs of a recently accepted paper - I knew I had to turn this around quickly and get back to my co-authors today. I got up early, started work out on the verandah, and got through it and did some other work stuff. All of a sudden, about 11am something hit me, here I was, outside and I thought 'wow, the light seems nice out here', then I remembered the recent 'taking photo's' thread and someone had said exterior light can be the most effective. I remembered a comment about reading the instructions of the camera and seeing if there's a 'super-macro' setting or something similar. I thought, bugger this, let's do it ! I went down to the garage to get a yard of finescale, top of the wardrobe to get Roco 63255 (Br 93 Ep III), Lilliput 'Aussichtstriebwagen', FLeischmann 4602 ('Touropa' wagon) and Lilliput Gr30 2nd class Eilzug coach, and of course got my 15yo - she is the only one who really knows how to use the camera.

Now I am not the best photographer, not the best with digital cameras, etc, but a) as soon as I touched the loco boxes the stress went, I got the locos out and took a few preliminary snaps - a bit of coaching from Zoe and we were there. My God the results looked good, I was really surprised at the picture quality - didn't even need to use the 'super-macro', and when I did, wow, it was like I was actually standing on the footplate of the loco. It was exhilarating to say the least, considering I'd never done it or had attempted it before.

Now you guys are all saying OK, let's have a look - but I haven't figured out how to get them on here yet !! when I have, I'll let you see my pathetic first efforts at model engine photography.

Truly therapeutic

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (6991 @ 13 Jul 2008, 10:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now you guys are all saying OK, let's have a look - but I haven't figured out how to get them on here yet !! when I have, I'll let you see my pathetic first efforts at model engine photography.

Truly therapeutic

Hi - you have to upload them to a photos sharing site suck as Photobucket & provide a link or if you are a Forum + member you can load them directly onto the forum.

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
QUOTE but I haven't figured out how to get them on here yet !

This topic tells you how to post photos.

David

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Hi guys,
When I get a bit of time I will join up for forum+ membership, that seems to be the easiest. I did the first step with my new photos yesterday and downloaded them from camera to PC and looked at them - the rivet-counters will have a field day when they see a super-macro image of the boiler door of 93 720, you really can count every one - frightening. When I took the pictures I was really interested to see how good the definition on the various bits of data around the model looked like (e.g. BD, Bw etc) and it shows up pretty well. I guess also one lesson is that if you are going to take images like this, be careful how you handle your models, I reckon I had dirty fingers when handling the 'Aussichtstriebwagen'!

Cheers

PS. Goedel, I am a surface coatings (i.e. paint and polymer) scientist of sorts. I haven't published too much in recent years due to commercial/IP sensitivities, but over the last year my company has allowed (commanded!) me to get some work out (3 papers) for various reasons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts