Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Therapeutic indeed.

At about 10pm last night (Saturday), I got an email with the .pdf proofs of a recently accepted paper - I knew I had to turn this around quickly and get back to my co-authors today. I got up early, started work out on the verandah, and got through it and did some other work stuff. All of a sudden, about 11am something hit me, here I was, outside and I thought 'wow, the light seems nice out here', then I remembered the recent 'taking photo's' thread and someone had said exterior light can be the most effective. I remembered a comment about reading the instructions of the camera and seeing if there's a 'super-macro' setting or something similar. I thought, bugger this, let's do it ! I went down to the garage to get a yard of finescale, top of the wardrobe to get Roco 63255 (Br 93 Ep III), Lilliput 'Aussichtstriebwagen', FLeischmann 4602 ('Touropa' wagon) and Lilliput Gr30 2nd class Eilzug coach, and of course got my 15yo - she is the only one who really knows how to use the camera.

Now I am not the best photographer, not the best with digital cameras, etc, but a) as soon as I touched the loco boxes the stress went, I got the locos out and took a few preliminary snaps - a bit of coaching from Zoe and we were there. My God the results looked good, I was really surprised at the picture quality - didn't even need to use the 'super-macro', and when I did, wow, it was like I was actually standing on the footplate of the loco. It was exhilarating to say the least, considering I'd never done it or had attempted it before.

Now you guys are all saying OK, let's have a look - but I haven't figured out how to get them on here yet !! when I have, I'll let you see my pathetic first efforts at model engine photography.

Truly therapeutic

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Hi guys,
When I get a bit of time I will join up for forum+ membership, that seems to be the easiest. I did the first step with my new photos yesterday and downloaded them from camera to PC and looked at them - the rivet-counters will have a field day when they see a super-macro image of the boiler door of 93 720, you really can count every one - frightening. When I took the pictures I was really interested to see how good the definition on the various bits of data around the model looked like (e.g. BD, Bw etc) and it shows up pretty well. I guess also one lesson is that if you are going to take images like this, be careful how you handle your models, I reckon I had dirty fingers when handling the 'Aussichtstriebwagen'!

Cheers

PS. Goedel, I am a surface coatings (i.e. paint and polymer) scientist of sorts. I haven't published too much in recent years due to commercial/IP sensitivities, but over the last year my company has allowed (commanded!) me to get some work out (3 papers) for various reasons.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.