Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 474 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All

Been playing with a couple of toy lorries from Corgi

The MAN one uses the Corgi cab, Base toys chassis and bed and the Hi-Ab comes from Herpa. It has had its bed widened and guard rails and lights added

Also in the pic a Ford Cargo with Base toys chassis and a scratchbuilt box body and tail lift. The pic below shows a before and after.

Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Jim

Good work , I read in a model mag about converting matchbox , corgi etc for use with model rail
The writer said toy car collectors would be horrified but the result were good , like yours.

I did some minor conversions of trucks , using a photo of our old truck , editing in photoshop and printing it out the correct size for the toy truck sides. Not the best close up but OK at a distance.

I also did a bit of cut and paste and made a 38ft version with different logo's

I did quite a few variations and different logo's and also Curtain sides for containers

There are so many things that can be done to make things more unique

Regards Zmil

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I have had some fun with model trucks, notably for the road works on St Laurent, and hopefully Pedro will forgive me for "borrowing" this photo from another thread.

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 29 Oct 2008, 13:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The tar sprayer is a right mongrel with bits from Herpa, Wiking, Kibri and others plus bits of wire etc. all cobbled together and duly dirtied. Have you ever seen a clean one?

I was fairly pleased with it as I have been asked which company made it!

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Cheers Zmil

It's always nice to be appreciated

Regards

·
Chief cook &amp; bottle washer
2,919 Posts
Come on boys, what about air and electrics for those trailers....... only joking.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (billericaybill @ 12 Dec 2008, 12:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice layout BRITHO !

Thank you Andrew, but I can't take all the credit. I only do the scenery and road vehicles. The layout was originally built by Bill Roberts and was acquired from him by Brian about 3 years ago. Brian does all the woodwork and electrics etc.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hoonsou @ 12 Dec 2008, 09:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Come on boys, what about air and electrics for those trailers....... only joking.

Are you paying attention BRITHO ! (your Christmas project !)

Actually the artic turning right has it's indicators flashing - the drawbar unit coming down the hill has its brakelights (on both the prime mover & the trailer) on.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE Actually the artic turning right has it's indicators flashing - the drawbar unit coming down the hill has its brakelights (on both the prime mover & the trailer) on.

--------------------

jeez...how UNREALISTIC can you get?

[don't forget, if modelling an artic stopped for traffic reasons...not 'parked'..............those long black tyre marks from his locked trailer wheel?

trailer reg number plates are entirely optional, to be realistic.....

but for increased animation, how's about some illegal immigrants peeping out through the trailer roof, or clinging on underneath?

·
Registered
41 Posts
[don't forget, if modelling an artic stopped for traffic reasons...not 'parked'..............those long black tyre marks from his locked trailer wheel?
trailer reg number plates are entirely optional, to be realistic.....
but for increased animation, how's about some illegal immigrants peeping out through the trailer roof, or clinging on underneath?

like ya sense of humour

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
oh,goody..a minority of one?

for further realism, those crash bars down the sides of vehicles or trailers really need to be bent and distorted a bit.........long gashes filled with rust need to be prominent.....curtain sides really either need to be bulging here and there, or bearing signs of many repairs.....and I challenge ANY driver to park their vehicle with their front [steering] wheels absolutely dead ahead......without guidance from outside.

clean wagons only exist imediately outside a truck wash....[how long does your car remain pristine?]

then there are those horrible dangly thingies tha infest lorry driver's windscreens?

for the YuK, consider whether one's modelled lorry[artic] is actually fully, partially or lightly loaded? This decision dictates whether the prime mover's pair of rear axles are both on the ground, or whether one is actually raised up?

so if they're both down , all the tyres must show the effects of bearing a huge weight?

then there are teh Special Types General Orders regulations? [EU-wide] [why can I never type ''the''? it always comes out as ''teh?'']

These [STGO] regulations concern the actual weight of the vehicle combination with its load, as it stands......at present the maximum permitted weight in the YuK for a vehicle/trailer combo is 44 tonnes[ and has risen steadily over the years, from 32, to 38 tons, then went metric so acquired tonnes instead....etc]....if the gross weight exceeds this figure then teh vehicle and its driver come under STGO regulations........cat 1 has all but disappeared....Cat 2 is very common..[a weight of between 46 and 80 tonnes]....Cat3 is sometimes seen too [80 tonnes to, I beleive, 250 tonnes]......

what this means to you finescale modellers is......thsoe fancy low loader outfits with a niftily-detailed piece of Wiking plant chained down on the back, are actually likely to come under STGO Cat2....

[this has nothing to do with ''wide'' or ''overly long'' loads, they have different regulations]

after all teh above, the physical manifestation is.................................... a small black plate on hte cab front, with STGO and CAt 2 letters in white.

for those rivet counters amongst you...as it is a 'legally required' plate....it has legally defined dimensions...just like a registration number....the size is as follows

length 400mm, width 250mm, letter size, ''STGO'' in white, 105mm high, ''Cat 2'' in white,75mm high.... [[scale as you will]...........further information available in Croner's Road Transport guide....but concerns speed limits...[legal speed limit on a motorway, 40 MPH......to surprise those of you who model more than they drive]

amber flishy-flashy things are optional depending on ego.....

have a look out next time you're out on the roads, and pass a plant-hire low loader....often the drivers just leave the plate displayed on the front permanently...

oh, adn next time you lot model a bus from teh 70's, DON'T forget the driver's cup of tea perched on the dashboard front!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
and if you think the above is over the top.......remember that when you place those tiny little overhaed warning flashes on your prized loco????

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE clean wagons only exist imediately outside a truck wash....[how long does your car remain pristine?]

which is why I will never forget the morning in 2005 when I passed an absolutely pristine skip lorry. It was spotless, unblemished and carrying a registration plate not valid until a few days later. I must have seen it on it's way to its first owner.

David

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Its not easy keeping your truck clean , Forklifts with greasy masts banging on your curtains when unloading , Councils that allow trees to overhang the roadway ,awnings in city streets poking out over the roadway , aircondioners in lane ways I could go on

The Curtains with the added DB logo's show about 6 months worth of road wear , you can see the marks made by branches from roadside trees.

Regards

Zmil

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
BRITHO's going ti love this when he logs on tomorrow (Monday) morning.

We did think about the trailer tyre marks but decided that they had to be "right", so after a couple of "wrong" attempts left them out.

Incidently, there is a guy in Germany somewhere (I've lost his details alas) that not only does custom paint jobs in any livery you want, you also get all the plates & details such as air lines.

1 - 20 of 474 Posts