Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get into DCC and am stuck between choosing two systems, one offers a voltage output of 1amp while the other offers 2.5amps for more money. My question is how do I work out how much ampage my layout will need?

My layout will probably due to the complexiy of the shunt yard only run one or two trains at once, I then suspect I'll have one or two locos sitting dead in the siding. Could this be powered from a 1amp DCC system? Or would the 1amp only allow me to move one train at a time but still allow the others to sit dead?

FYI I'm going DCC rather than having to have numerous isolating sections and DC controllers!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Locos and carriages with lights (or sound) can consume power when stationary. Otherwise 0.5 amp is often enough for modern OO locos. SO 1 amp would be just enough to run two simultaneously at reasonable speed provided nothing else was consuming much power. My own system is rated at 2.5 amps and I have run 4 at a time at approaching maximum speed (the limiting factor is my ability to avoid crashes under these conditions).
Some of the 1 amp systems are limited by the transformer --- replacing the transformer can then allow a higher maximum current.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, is this 0.5 average the same even for staionary locos or is that nearer 0.2 (functionless locos?)

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Stationary decoders will use less and for shorter periods. Look at the output rating of the device you plan to use. Most devices allow you to modify the power output and duration - say for point motors.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Nick @ 27 Nov 2006, 20:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I want to get into DCC and am stuck between choosing two systems, one offers a voltage output of 1amp while the other offers 2.5amps for more money. My question is how do I work out how much ampage my layout will need?

My layout will probably due to the complexiy of the shunt yard only run one or two trains at once, I then suspect I'll have one or two locos sitting dead in the siding. Could this be powered from a 1amp DCC system? Or would the 1amp only allow me to move one train at a time but still allow the others to sit dead?

FYI I'm going DCC rather than having to have numerous isolating sections and DC controllers!

Hi Nick,

Loco's sitting "dead" consume a negligable amount of current - it's only when you have maybe 10 or more it becomes an issue.

The 1amp should be well sufficient unless you are thinking of powering the points through DCC control or maybe coach lighting.

If your system of choice is limited by the transformer supplied & you could upgrade simply by changing the transformer then "go for it" - you can always change the transformer later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts