Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I have just had 2 compensation cheques from the Post Office for goods that were lost in the post and shipped overseas.

The UK Post Office has warned me that they will not provide compensation in future for goods shipped overseas that are lost or damaged and that have not been shipped using a traceable method of shipment.

They claim that they are unable to establish whether the loss took place within the UK or outside the UK if standard airmail or surface shipping is used. On this basis they will no longer give the senders the benefit of the doubt.

A signed for traceable package costs an extra £3.50 over and beyond the standard shipping rates although of course the vendor may have to add a surcharge to this to cover credit card fees and additional administration.

If you are overseas and purchasing mail order from a UK vendor then it is important to establish what their terms are in the event of loss or damage, and whether their shipment charges include for a signed for package. You may have to pay extra for this.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I notice Hattons mail order details are noticeably vague on this issue. Most of the German companies are pretty clear they either don't cover it at all or do up to a certain amount. This could be a factor in choosing which mail order company to buy from.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Everything I buy comes from the UK or the USA to me here in Spain and so far, fingers crossed, there has never been a problem with loss or damage. If a problem should arise then I suppose I will start searching through the small print.
How much of a problem is this in fact? Do many of us receive damaged goods or lose orders in the post?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
When I lived in South Africa postage normally wasnt a problem. However I did have two consecutive posting go astray from the Signal Box in Rochester (who I don't blame). As a consequence they now specifically refuse to post to South Africa. This is a pity as they have a good reputation and advertise a wide range of stock at excellent prices.

Best of the lot however were mainly trains their packages arrived normally within 10 days of posting. I did find if I specified airmail I had a much better chance of receiving my parcels.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I buy everything by mail order from Britain, Germany and the US and I have never had anything go astray in the post. The only damaged item was because it was badly packed by the shop. But now that there is no compensation it seems inevitable something will go astray.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Statutory UK Royal Mail compensation is £32. The sender must have a certificate of posting as a minimum to support a claim if made. Claims can only be made by the sender. What the Royal Mail have indicated is that for post staying within mainland Britain that is all that is required to support a claim.

Where shipments are overseas, then a signed for package is required so that the Royal Mail can trace where the fault lies. Providing that this minimum requirement is met, then the Royal Mail will compensate up to £32.

For packages that have a value beyond this then additional insurance will be required. Where insurance is required then at all times the package must have a signed for delivery. Either recorded delivery within the UK or International Signed For outside the UK. The issue is the cost of International Signed for for which the Royal Mail charge £3.50. This is expensive by comparison with postal services elsewhere.

In fact the Royal Mail is the most expensive postal service in the world for international shipments. I keep pointing this out to the Postmasters at the Post Offices and they make no comment or just smile and shrug their shoulders.

Buyers constantly question what I charge for shipping overseas. The fact is this is what it has to be!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Yes but I stick to hobby related matters at MRF apart from when an issue arrises such as this that affects the procurement considerations of MRF members generally.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts