Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another tank engine, and this time a really useful one which was all over the North-East of London commuter services and on some GE and GN section branchlines. Integrates very well with Bachmann and Hornby's ranges, filling a gap in smaller steam power for the LNER and BR(ER) so full marks for an intelligent choice of subject. No previous OO RTR model that I am aware of, so they have the field to themselves.

http://www.lner.info/locos/N/n7.php

there's some other stuff in their announcement, the Class A and B tankers in particular likely to be popular.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Now that is an interesting announcement, considering they were used on my local suburan line.

Looks like I know what I am going to treat myself if/when they are released. Just some appropriate coaching stock to source, then I can represent a "local"....

·
What do I put here!?!
883 Posts
Although of no use to me whatsoever, it's really nice to see Oxford Rail announcing items that don't duplicate items already available.
I see even sound fitted versions will be available too, brilliant.
Kudos to them!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Where did you see that?

***EDIT**

Never mind, just spotted it!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
QUOTE (Grifter_Guru @ 24 Jan 2017, 11:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now that is an interesting announcement, considering they were used on my local suburan line.Same here, although I am modelling SR, I may well get the LNER version for the mantlepiece. I was brought up near the suburban service to Enfield Town and could see the trains from the living room. I later went to school the other side of the line which passed the school playing field.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Just when you think your wallet is safe with nothing remotely GER announced by the big boys .................. up pops Oxford Rail with a decidedly must have model.

The N7 was not restricted to Hertfordshire and Essex commuter services but could pop up anywhere in East Anglia. I remember seeing an N7 on Bury St Edmunds shed and I have a photo of one on an afternoon milk train (North Elmham) in Norfolk.

The discounted price looks very reasonable and I hope that does not mean that there will be compromises with quality. Never satisfied .............. oh but I am.

Best regards .................... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Well N7 is a heavyweight here passing Adolphus Square Station. Hope they decode to make one of the Gorton built versions, I have a works plate for one of these.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, I've got one of those early Wills kits of the Belpaire boilered 'original' N7 too, now running on a Bachmann 56xx mechanism replacing the rewheeled Triang Jinty mechanism which it first had, which was very worn out from outdoor use. (Now a really sweet runner and great traction with all the weight.) Much of the paint's off too, outside being a harsh place; it's still flaking despite the last twenty years indoors. Possibly going to become a loco on shed day when the Oxford model appears.

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Looks like the old girl will have to soldier on until December when the OxRail jobbie appears (or it could be December 2021) one retailer will take £93 and change up front but is you want DCC and sound then that comes out at £186 - O gauge will be cheaper soon!

Probably a good choice for Oxford lots of appeal, they got around a bit even operating out of Leeds laterly, obviously finding an unoccupied niche market seller is not so easy but not bad a choice so good luck to them.

Now over to Adrian to see how many rivets are missing.

·
Chief cook &amp; bottle washer
2,919 Posts
If it's anything like the Adams Radial 3520 in Southern Railway Green (OR76AR006XS) don't hold your breath.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (hoonsou @ 24 Jan 2017, 23:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...don't hold your breath.
Oh but you had to, in the smog which they helped create and operated in, on days like today. (We have a very chilly mist where I am sitting, a short walk away from one of the ex-GNR branchlines they once regularly pottered along.)

My 'better' kit built N7 is hopefully accurate for 69640 circa 1959, an N7/5 that was on Hatfield shed's allocation. They are something of a minefield when all the class parts that resulted from the steady upgrading are considered. As long as the basic body shape is correct and it runs smoothly I'll be happy enough: out tools and the spares box to customise it to the appearance of another of Hatfield's allocation from the class.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I have noticed that the discount sellers are offering the N7 with DCC sound at around £170 (one undercuts the other by 50p) so I decided to pre-order the early BR version. From discussions on other threads I realise that not all approve of pre-ordering but I do it because it encourages both the retailer and manufacturer. When you factor in the guarantee of honouring the pre-order price as I recently experienced with the Hornby B12 supplied to me by Hattons then placing that order months (or years) in advance of production is well worthwhile.

Now I hope that the trade will produce a quad-art set to hang on the back of the N7.

Best regards ................ Greyvoices (alias John)

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quad-Arts eh? We have had the N2 generally available much of the last forty years, and no sign of the matching GN section Quads. Come to that, I'll bet the A4s sold in any year will easily total more than all the N2 and N7 sales of that same year put together, yet no matching streamliner sets for them either. The closest we get to provision of 'complete' steam period trains are the Pullman cars, from which decently realistic formations can be created.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 25 Jan 2017, 09:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>. They are something of a minefield when all the class parts that resulted from the steady upgrading are considered. As long as the basic body shape is correct and it runs smoothly I'll be happy enough: out tools and the spares box to customise it to the appearance of another of Hatfield's allocation from the class.
Oxford are arranging the tooling to account for differences. https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2017/01/25...-toy-fair-2017/

·
Registered
90 Posts
On Hatton's website the early BR version is said to be numbered E9621. Was this some sort of interim number on nationalisation, prior to being numbered 69621? I've never seen this before.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It was a prefix to denote consituent company.

Excerpt below from wiki (wiki LINK)

"After initially using letter prefixes (E for ex-LNER, M for ex-LMS, S for ex-SR, and W for ex-GWR locomotives, as used for other inherited rolling stock), a numbering scheme was decided on in March 1948"

Another wiki page here > LINK

This is also useful too > LINK

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 25 Jan 2017, 18:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oxford are arranging the tooling to account for differences...
What's really encouraging is that 5 variations are mentioned, and that implies to me that the round top boiler is in the frame, in addition to the Belpaire they have shown. I can use both...

The natural next question would be, is Oxford's plan to offer another small type; completing the foursome with something for pregroup/LMS/LMR, and if so, what? Bachmann have made all the running in this department: MR 3F 0-6-0, L&Y class 5 2-4-2T, MR 1F 0-6-0T, LNWR Coal Tank close to launch, announced MR 0-4-4T. There's just so much worthy of a model, and not a few hoping that the early inclusion of a Scottish pre-group wagon design might point in that direction.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks Grifter. Those links are really useful. I wonder if this interim E number will mean that the model will have "British Railways" on the
tanks, rather than the Lion logo.
Regards,
Peter A

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
As far as I am aware, the prefix letters only lasted a short period of time until the renumbering sequence was decided on (the above links, I hope, will clarify dates).

There are, of course, exceptions. Then there are the exceptions to the exceptions!!

Certainly, locos still had "British Railways" in full either on tenders or side tanks after the renumbering had occurred. There are plenty of photographs available that show this to be the case and even photo's showing a mix of "British Railways" lettered loco's mixed in with loco's that had the early Lion & Wheel device applied.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Hi All,
Before the thread about the OR 0415 class was hijacked by trolls, I made a comment (probably first 10 posts or so) about how refreshing it was to find another manufacturer 'having a go' in the market. Utterly commendable effort.
I will re-emphasise that here, because I think they have chosen a wonderful class to model. Are one of the big boys going to announce one as well? Lets wait and see. This would be the typical Matrix response in European H0.
In the late 50's there was even one N7 and a J69 in GER livery visible at Liverpool St as station pilots on a daily basis.
Many of us teary-eyed posters will remember more the flower-pot chimneys with which all the class were fitted by the late 50's, pounding in and out of the suburban side of Liverpool St, rather than the original Hill GER types announced thus far.
If you have your 'Locomotives of British Railways, London and North Eastern Group' by H C Casserley and L L Asher in front of you, you will notice three pictures of N7s are included from 1948/9...
E9610, similar to the OR model an N7/4, original GER series, with Belpaire box and Hill chimney British Railways across the top of the side-tank, and E9610 across the lower part (Stratford 1948)
69642, an N7/5 with flower-pot chimney, Belpaire box and British Railways across the top of the side-tank with 69642 lower down (Stratford 1949)
69733, an N7/3 (Doncaster built), flower-pot chimney, round-topped box, high bunkers without coal rails, British Railways across the middle of the side-tank, and 69733 on the bunker in the same sized font and at the same level (Bow Road, 1949).
Does this help you get your bearings, Peter? It is what it is, I can send you a photo by pm if you like, I cannot put it on the thread for copyright, I guess.
Best regards,

1 - 20 of 84 Posts