Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Back to OR theme - problems and hold-ups will occur - I spent 30 years sourcing product from Far East, but
please do communicate with your customer base and keep us informed what is actually happening! Simples!

·
In depth idiot
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
That's better. It's a model I am very much looking forward to, and all are scheduled for a meeting with Mr Solvent and various
implements within hours of arrival chez moi. Specific versions shedded at Hatfield (34C) are what I want...

I think we will be waiting a while before we get the inside track on Oxford Rails doings, whys and wherefore....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There is a posting on rmweb which states Oxford have said May for the BR black ones, on that basis given shipping times I would have thought they are either already in existence or currently being made.

·
In depth idiot
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
In a container on a Chinese dockside or actually at sea for May availability. It's the best part of two months to get containerised goods
from a Chinese port into UK retailer's premises.

·
In depth idiot
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
It would appear that the N7 available in May is the LNER unlined livery Belpaire boiler version. No word yet on when the BR livery round
top version is going to be available. Given the January to May gap between the first two versions becoming available, I'd take a punt on
sometime from late September for the last of the initially announced threesome...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just had an email (30/5/19) from Rails about the 2 LNER versions which they have in stock, and the forthcoming BR livery round top firebox version. While there isn't a date for the last one, it does look good in their picture! All £86.50

·
In depth idiot
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
An example of the LNER black Belpaire model is now in my possession. Once I have run it sufficiently to be sure it's a goodun in all
respects, it will go under the knife for conversion to 69695, in the condition it ran the final Hatfield-Hertford passenger turn. (Very
grubby, no lining in sight so an easy conversion from the LNER unlined black the model carries as far as paint is concerned, lots of
detail 'bits' to strip off to render it into early fifties condition.)

I will come right out and say that I feel Oxford have climbed the learning curve to match other maker's efforts on the evidence of this
loco. Put it beside Hornby's quite rightly much liked J50 or L1, and it's a good match. Leaves the very dated tooling of Hornby's N2
looking shabby, and the 'soft' body of Bachmann's V1/V3 tank locos is also put in the shade. (These would be the tank locos currently
available in RTR OO, most likely to be seen with an N7 as BR(ER) suburban service steam was phased out.)

As previously remarked the running performance is fine, this example matches the earlier specimen I had to play with. There's a good
void in the bunker right above the eight pin socket, in which I have installed a Lenz standard with no difficulty, and it runs sweetly with
this decoder. The body construction has a lot of metal, and the end result is traction far beyond what the prototype could handle. The
leading axle rocks slightly, good for pick up integrity and what I suspect is 50:1 gearing means very smooth low speed running on DC
with no feedback control or other such refinements. (I notice that OR specifically caution against use of the 'halfwave' facility on older
DC controllers, naming the H&M Clipper and Duette as 'chief suspects'. Sensible move, unfortunately **** Modellerus, doesn't usually
read the destructions...)

I suppose the one blot is the somewhat clumsy positioning of the NEM coupler pockets, the designer could have done better at the front
in particular, but this is easily modified for anyone apt to tinker.

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Got to be on my list, but then so are;

Heljan O2/2
Bachmann V2 - new type
Bachmann J39 - revised model
plus others I have been waiting so long for that I have forgotten what they are, anyway I now rely on 34C to remind me!

·
In depth idiot
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
QUOTE (kristopher1805 @ 30 May 2019, 20:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got to be on my list, but then so are;

Heljan O2/2
Bachmann V2 - new type
Bachmann J39 - revised model...

Think this is a case of the available model vs the announced but yet to show...

Specifically, Ben Jones - now UK representative for Heljan - has revealed there are no immediate plans for the O2/1 and O2/2 to be
released, as there are O2/3 and O2/4 still available heavily discounted.

·
Registered
498 Posts
QUOTE (kristopher1805 @ 30 May 2019, 20:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got to be on my list, but then so are;

Heljan O2/2
Bachmann V2 - new type
Bachmann J39 - revised model
plus others I have been waiting so long for that I have forgotten what they are, anyway I now rely on 34C to remind me!

Open to correction but I'm fairly sure the revised J39 was one of a handful of projects put on hold sometime last year? Shame, as it might have incorporated a good few variations

·
In depth idiot
7,720 Posts
My N7 has finished its ten hours of running successfully (my test to weed out 'infant mortalities' before I start knocking a model about
into the form I want). Bring on the round top version please... If the J27 is to the same standard, that will get a welcome too.

QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 4 Jun 2019, 21:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... Re the 02/2 (and 02/1) Heljan have put them on hold as sales of the O2/3 and O2/4 were "disappointing"
Yes, they didn't take my advice. ;-) The year it was announced I had a very pleasant chat with one of the Danes on their Warley stand,
and suggested they lead on GNR / early LNER versions, because this was a clear lack in LNER group tender locos. (Also suggested that
the GNR tender might sell as a separate piece, as it wasn't then available at all in RTR OO. Remains a useful piece now.)

Since Heljan are open to commissions, I feel all is not lost even if Heljan don't want to go it alone. Nothing to stop a major retailer or
other organisation offering it as an exclusive, strictly on a pre-order with deposit basis, for example.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seems that the BR N7's only run in reverse - delivery date now put back to "July-September 2019"
according to Hattons.

No explanation from Oxford Rail.

·
In depth idiot
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
As I recollect that was pretty much the plan that was laid out when the first GER liveried went on sale, the LNER model to follow in May,
the BR round top August. (The latter is the one I want for my Hatfield shed operation as my two kit builds are very tired indeed!. After a
sixty odd year wait for any RTR GER design tank loco, a month here or there is nothing...)

I have the LNER model, being knocked about to represent one of the last Belpaire survivors on my patch - it fits the first couple of years
of my modelling interest - and am well pleased with it. Runs sweetly, will pull any realistic load on the 1 in 80 ruling gradient, looks like
a Swedey Met. Who'd a thunk it? RTR models of the principal steam classes that saw out the final years of the KX suburban operations,
B1, L1, N2, N7 (and anything else that happened to be available when the traction was in short supply, a friend of my Pa claimed he had
come home to Knebworth behind a WD 2-8-0 on one occasion).

·
Registered
60 Posts
If that was the original plan why was it shown as April-June, and possibly even earlier - I can't remember
now how many dates we have been given. Just tell it like it is, Oxford.

·
In depth idiot
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
QUOTE (Ray Sadler @ 10 Jul 2019, 16:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If that was the original plan why was it shown as April-June, and possibly even earlier ...
Now you are quite right, it has been unclear in I think two communications this year. But the original release plan I saw before the first
N7 went on sale, which I recall as GER version January, LNER version May, BR version August, appears to be holding good. I suspect a
little carelessness somewhere, either from an Oxford source, or from a misinterpretation of what the Oxford source said.

·
Registered
60 Posts
According to Hattons the 69612 is now scheduled for October-December - i.e. after Brexit with its possible import complications.
Do we bet on finding it in our Christmas stockings, or pushed back further to 2020? Oxford Rail need to tighten up control
of their plant if they are to have any credibility on the rtr scene.

·
In depth idiot
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Can you find an OO RTR manufacturer with a sustained track record for on time delivery? Even with all their manufacturing in the UK, I
don't believe that Peco got their new bullhead points out on time. It's a mess in short.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts