Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since my example was received and decoder fitted (Zimo MX638) performance has been exemplary. I have it set up for a maximum speed of 50mph, but it spends most of its time in the usual 15-25mph range for a small wheel 0-6-0, and is smooth and effective on a full trainload for its power rating. Looks like the subject, performs beautifully, in short.

Clearly it was time to have it apart and have a look at the construction to see how this is achieved at a way lower asking price than Hornbach demand for their equivalents. Apart from the rigid coupling rods, (no hinge as Bachmann and Hornby provide on their 0-6-0s) nothing in the way of compromises. Drive train and driven axle lubrication was minimal and neatly applied, perhaps they are saving money on the grease? OR have a superior 'inside bearing' arrangement for the tender wheelsets compared to Hornby's typical 'no roll' botch up (now that Hornby own OR they should only copy this very free running arrangement if they plan to stay with inside bearings on tenders).

On the body work all the detail had remained attached, though I did manage to snag the top lamp iron on the smokebox and loosen it in the process of body removal, being a clumsy sort of fellow. Quickly fixed, and now awaiting the general application of the filth that an old goods engine typically toted around in BR operation. Then with a little coal arranged in the tender, and the thoughtfully provided etched fire irons in the neatly represented tool rack it will look very well.

The only question I have is that once the J26 is released, with Hornby owning OR, will we see any more OR loco introductions? (It is generally recognised that Hornby got their new Terrier out in record time, because it was actually at an advanced stage of development by OR, at the time that Hornby began acquisition of OR.) I hold the OR N7 in similar regard, a key item for my layout operation , and would be rather sorry to see this brand 'evaporate'.

·
In depth idiot
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so another one to my list, getting longer by the day, this Sunday there is at Exeter a Model Rail event so now if I see something like a J27 it'll be hard to keep the money in my pocket!
Just looked at Hattons they have 2 versions of 69670 and these are the embellished models, I was hoping for a nice plain dirty weathered loco, perhaps I ask too much. £98 for the pretty loco and some other number for one with digital sound.
And did you ever get around to an N7 from Oxford Rail?;)

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Not yet to be honest I thought I would wait until a dirty weathered one comes up, the J27 well maybe there will be one for sale in Exeter on Sunday, this leaves the V2 I nearly bought one recently but I was planning to let my two go and take two new ones, however as Hattons no longer sell Bachmanns that idea has sunk so I have to wait for the new Black 5, I will let say most of my current fleet go and take 4 new ones and I'll take an A5 Sonic in GCR and possibly another.
So thats
2 V2
4 New Black 5
1 J27
1/2 A5
1 N7
1 P2 Bugatti streamliner
1 W1 Bugatti streamliner
and a Jones Goods in yellow
In the meantime I have been building the OO9 layout with a few locos of late with
2 Double Fairlee
1 Small England 0-4-0
to join 2 Manning Wardles, a Baldwin 2-4-2t, 2 Baldwin 10-12-D, a Decauville, a Roco 0-6-0
Makes 10 locos for the OO9 plus a deseasal I still haven't fixed yet. Anyway I spent a bit of money with that lot.

So quite a bit going on really.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Hey 34c, not yet the N7 but it'll not be far away, retailers round here are getting scarce, the Bekra people in Newton Abbot seem to do no rolling stock at all, Buckfastleigh Station is pretty good but not cheap, Peco at Seaton is full retail, I used to get to Buffers a lot but they steadily went away from rolling stock and I no longer go that way, others have gone mind this is not s surprise because I used never to be able to catch them when they were open, so no surprise they go out of business because they never open! not been to Paignton for a while as I have had no need so I suppose a look in would be useful and at the shows I have been to lately seem to be mostly old stuff, kinda pre-historic. Triang and H-D some Wrenn wagons those improbable private owners and I have quite a few of those I do not use.

So I am in no hurry, birthday is soon so maybe I'll buy one as Mrs 1805 has not noticed the V2 yet - tempting fate I know.

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
Back to 34c, I thought right I am goaded into it, so no late BR N7 at Hattons, OK I'll try the O2/2 Tango, none yet available, J27 no late BR ones, W1 no problem but at £241 not selling too well - wonder why? and no new P2 especially Bugatti style, so I'm not doing so well, I'll try Rails?

·
Premium Member
6,375 Posts
OK 34c you called my bluff and I have bought a BR N7 69670 with embellishments for £97 plus £4 postage
- happy birthday to me ... etc..." from Rails about the only thing I could buy as everything is either sold out or on order

·
Registered
358 Posts
Back to 34c, I thought right I am goaded into it, so no late BR N7 at Hattons, OK I'll try the O2/2 Tango, none yet available, J27 no late BR ones, W1 no problem but at £241 not selling too well - wonder why? and no new P2 especially Bugatti style, so I'm not doing so well, I'll try Rails?
TMC have 1 late J27 at £93.46

Ian

·
In depth idiot
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hoopy Biffday!
Don't be alarmed if there's a puff of smoke when test running your N7. Both my round top examples the capacitor incinerated itself after about an hout of DC test running. Quite realistic smoke for a few seconds...

I think you will like it overall. The rather clumsy coupler mountings have to be carved about for a more compact result, not difficult

What was 69670 'bulled-up' for? ... I have cut and pasted an earlier post

... when this release was announced, it rang a faint little bell. Took a while before I chanced on the photograph in 'The Eastern before Beeching' by John Brodribb, pub. Ian Allan. Top of page 104, picture captioned '...69670... platform 1 Liverpool Street... July 1960... (we have to take the number on trust as a disc covers the smokebox numberplate to the effect that what is visible is 6---0, and the oblique view of the bunkerside number isn't clear in the halftone reproduction, though it will have been legible in the negative and a photographic print).

Whatever, the loco is 'bulled-up', white paint on the bufferheads, smokebox door ring, smokebox door locking dart boss, valve rod end covers; lining discernible on the Westinghouse pump. Predictably enough, if there was white paint on the chimney rim, it is now totally obscured by a soot deposit. Cannot tell if the number and shedplate had a red background, but they do appear slightly paler than the smokebox door and the numbers are clearly picked out in white.

Given the date, and the 25kV OHLE in place in the picture, might this have marked the imminent cessation of steam working on a particular GE section route?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts