Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little difficulty with my layouts as they are seperated by size and distance. I have one up here in Queensland at the unit where I live and another 850klms away in NSW where I have my home. I work up here but I really live down there. So to keep me happy and as therapy for my little problem I had that enforced my absense I'm building two layouts. My shed down south is 10.5M x 5.5m, it's lined, sealed, insulated and airconditioned. The layout I'm building will predominately be for my US locos and is based on the Clinchfield RR which was in West Virginia. The 'Clinch" was a coal hauler that had conections with the C&O, PRR, NYC and N&W. The section I'm building is based on the C&O connection at Elkhorn city. I will from time to time run my UK models on this layout, which is an operation based layout, which should confuse those modelling mates of mine that have never operated anything with a 3 link coupling.

My small layout is just for fun and will have anything on it.

The big layout.

and the little one

I have since these pics were taken swopped the little layout around to make it easier to get the bike out.

With the big layout it's going to be slow going as I only get back for a few days every couple of months.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
I look forward to seeing how this progresses

David

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was bored to day so after getting home from work I decided to finish a couple of things. One job was finish painting the track so I've nearly completed that, had to stop and watch the Indy race from the Gold coast.

Light earth and redbrown acryillic paint.

The white plastic sheet will eventually form the backdrop and will be hung with velcro picture hangers for easy removal.

The other is on my work bench.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 26 Oct 2008, 10:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was bored to day so after getting home from work I decided to finish a couple of things. One job was finish painting the track so I've nearly completed that, had to stop and watch the Indy race from the Gold coast.

Light earth and redbrown acryillic paint.

The white plastic sheet will eventually form the backdrop and will be hung with velcro picture hangers for easy removal.

The other is on my work bench.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Hi Ozzie
Wow what a great space to have for a railway every model railwayman's dream. Its looking good and nice to see a good old British LMS loco on your layout!. (I mainly run LMS and LNER).

Please do keep us posted on your progress. (nice bike by the way i have a BMW K100 RS).

Kind regards
Paul

·
Administrator
9,855 Posts
I like the track colour. I've never been all that convinced by the redder versions some people use.

David

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quick question: How much space do you give yourself between the wall and the edge of your baseboard?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kimbo, It varies on one side it's 150mm and on the other it's 50mm.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (Kimbo @ 27 Oct 2008, 06:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Quick question: How much space do you give yourself between the wall and the edge of your baseboard?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Neil, it' s Hobby Colour light earth for the sleepers and Tamiya german red brown for the rails. Both theese paints are acryllic water based. I just spray everything with the light earth first and then the rails with the red brown. I don't worry to much about the over spray as it darkens the light earth up and gives the sleepers a more bleached effect.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 27 Oct 2008, 06:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What are you using to paint your track Charles.
It is better than most colours I've seen. I wouldn't mind getting some of that.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 27 Oct 2008, 12:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil, it' s Hobby Colour light earth for the sleepers and Tamiya german red brown for the rails. Both theese paints are acryllic water based. I just spray everything with the light earth first and then the rails with the red brown. I don't worry to much about the over spray as it darkens the light earth up and gives the sleepers a more bleached effect.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia
Thanks for that Charles. That's fairly close to what I've been using Tamiya red brown and flat brown. I'll get some of that as yours looks better than mine.

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul, I had a K100 for a short time. Someone decided they needed it more than me. I hope to get a Ducati 1000S next year.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (madon37s @ 26 Oct 2008, 21:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ozzie
Wow what a great space to have for a railway every model railwayman's dream. Its looking good and nice to see a good old British LMS loco on your layout!. (I mainly run LMS and LNER).

Please do keep us posted on your progress. (nice bike by the way i have a BMW K100 RS).

Kind regards
Paul

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This isn't a very good picture as it's a scan of the orginal track plan, well part one as there were three sheets. As I'm not very good at drawing plans I had a mate do a modfied version on some cad program he had. Unfortunatly it's not transferable with out the original disc. I did have the orginal plans scanned by a draughting company but when I put the files on the computer they were huge about 20megs each. So this is the best I can do. At the left end of the plan you'll see a door and along the bottom edge. Well imagine the plan without those doors and strech that part of the out to the back wall and to each side wall so it's about 8ft deep and 16ft wide. Then at the right end of the plan about the middle place a door. You'll see a small area near the bottom well imagine it's not there and you walk in the dooraround to the left and follow the wall till you get to the other end where you turn right and walk into the rest of the layout. Now along the top edge there is a station with yard space and an mpd but it's about 56" off the floor, I'm 6'2", under that station area there is hidden trackage, showen by the dotted lines, in the form of storage tracks, a runaround track and pass through track that connects to the big bit at the left which is a sort of dumbell shaped spiral that decends from about 54" off the floor down to about 43" off the floor. That connects to another pass through track which comes out to the far right and the proceeds to follow the rest of the plan climbing most of the way except in the center section where there is a large steel trestle bridge which is on the curve in the middle of thet peninsula. This plan was orginally done for a friend of mine who never built it and I thought I might just give it a go.
The walkways I've set at 30" so most of my beer guzzilng mates should fit. Due to the time I get spend on this layout I reckon on 4yrs before I get to run a train. By that time I hope to extend the shed by an additional 20ft in length and 5ft in width. So I'll just strech it to fit.

Regards
Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

·
Registered
296 Posts
Aye, man that layout plan looks peachy!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
WOW Charles that layout plan looks awesome! it looks like there will be some great long track runs for your trains. Thats gonna take some serious amount of track.
What sort of time scale are you looking at for the track to be put down ?.

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Paul, At the moment I'm thinking it'll be around June next year. I have to start amassing track and I'm looking at around 20 to 25 boxes of Peco code 83 but with christmas coming up that will have to go on the back burner for the moment.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (madon37s @ 1 Nov 2008, 18:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WOW Charles that layout plan looks awesome! it looks like there will be some great long track runs for your trains. Thats gonna take some serious amount of track.
What sort of time scale are you looking at for the track to be put down ?.

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
296 Posts
Would it be possible to get a full-size picture of your layout plan? I'd really love to take a closer look at your details!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts