Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having completed a p-way gangs hut with tools and equipment, we would like to add some "workers". The model layout period is c1940/50, so orange vests and hard hats are not the "order of the day"!

We have looked at the HO Preiser range (HO figures are OK in our view on a 4mm model at the back of a layout, but at the front - where this p-way gang is - they do look "small") and the Langley Models web site, but their p-way gang is Victorian!

Can anyone suggest a source of such a common group of people to be seen on a railway!

Many thanks
Paul

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sorry Paul I can't help . But I think I read somewhere that Bachmann now have a licence to make some Preiser figures in OO scale . Is this true? Or did I get confused again? If it's true they might someday make what you and so many more of us need.
Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike & Peter for your reply.

The only Bachmann p-way gang I can see on their web site is the set "36-020 Figures - Lineside Permanent Way Workers (X6)", which have the orange vests and hard hats, which is a little out of place c1940/50!

On the "Mainly Trains" web site they list: (1) DAC002 (Dapol) Railway Workman; (2) (Modelscene) Track Maintenance Party - I think these are the very old, I had a set 30 years ago, set of very thin model people, when you look at them side on and they can't be seen!!!!); and (3) (Mainly Trains & Misc Suppliers) Permanent Way Set, Contains Six Figures plus Accesories.

The problem with the Mainly Train web site is that there are no pictures of these items, so you cannot see what you are buying. Has anyone purchased any of the above?

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Montys Model Railways (Dart Castings ) make a nice steam era set in 00 scale.They are white metal castings ..They are standing and sittng, with tools anda look out .They are dressed with flat "ats" and waistcoats etc and would probably fit from 20's thru 40's even 50's .
This is my first post to this fine forum .
Frisco Pete

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info - I'll contact my local model shop and see if they can get a set.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dapol Railway Workmen kit/pack C002. Unpainted "00" figures of 1050's or earlier lineside workers Dapol figures . Sold at £4.90 a pack or less.
In various poses. If my memory severs me correctly there are three sprues per pack which give plenty of figures and with a bit of careful manipulation differing poses can be made. Cut off their bases for a more realistic effect when planted on the layout. Paint them in mainly dark colours. Overalls were dark blue. Overcoats and Macs where black.

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE & not a hi-vis in sight !

(come to think about it no eye/ear/hand protection either).
Been there got the badge and Tee shirt

Ah those were the days.......Men were men and women loved....!!!!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ 15 Feb 2007, 13:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Overalls were dark blue. Overcoats and Macs where black.

And the "Gaffer" would have worn his bowler, the lookout(s) a white armband, and a brass trumpet as a warning!

Regards

John

·
Registered
219 Posts
dapol are now producing the old airfix kit of railway workmen, you could make a decent size P-way gang from the kit and staff your station, signalbox, goods yard as well into the bargain!

The sprues on the set I picked up were not great but a sharp knife should sort that out!

happy hunting Mike

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>dapol are now producing the old airfix kit of railway workmen
Are they still using that plastic that Humbrol paint would never stick to?

David

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Following on from my previous e-mail, I ordered from the Mainly Trains web site, their "Permanent Way Set" (ref MT199) - ordered yesterday (Wed) and they arrived today - excellant service by MT and the Post Office!

Very nice set of figures well detailed, which my Son is in the process of painting! Six figures, wheel barrow, pick axe, men with shovels, flag etc.

All we need now is two or three men with sythes, cutting the railway banks and cuttings!

Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts