Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I've had a little problem with three Proto2ooo Heritage 2-8-8-2's. These are the non sound units and have been run on DC only. All three refused to run and the owners said tapping them usually got them moving so I originally looked at dirty wheels/poor pickup or dirty track. Alas no that wasn't it so the tops had to come off the locos and I was still slightly mystified as every thing appeared normal but when I put the meter on the motor no power. Looks like the Chinese solder experts didn't allow for the size of the suppresion resistors when they solder them in place as on two locos one leg had broken free and on the other loco a leg had come off each resistor. A quick bend of the legs and a resolder and away they go. See Attached picture. You can just see that the firebox ends of the resitors are sitting up a little high.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If you search for advice on Euro forums, this engine was actually built by Roco in Austria (and marketed as Roco on this side of the pond). Only in the USA was it sold as P2K; afaik it featured different wheel flanges and couplers on the US version.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tes that is true but after 2002 all P2K Heritage steam units were manufactured in China and that includes the 2-8-8-2.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 2 Jul 2007, 06:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you search for advice on Euro forums, this engine was actually built by Roco in Austria (and marketed as Roco on this side of the pond). Only in the USA was it sold as P2K; afaik it featured different wheel flanges and couplers on the US version.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Soundtraxx heavy steam Tsnumai. Best decoder I've ever fitted for a 2-8-8-2.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (PaulRhB @ 2 Jul 2007, 20:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for that useful hint to bear in mind, I will get round to sound chipping mine eventually!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts