Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1966 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All

A few pictures of work in progress on my layout p4newstreet. There's more on my site. Good job I like building track hu?

Cheers

Jim

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I am just amazed at the work you produce. Is this going to be an exhibition layout?

I have just one photo of New Street taken earlier this year and I'm pretty certain that it matches the trackwork you have shown us. It can be found here in the gallery.

David

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Really Lovely stuff Jim

Makes me feel less lonely seeing another modellers handmade track :). It'd be nice to find a way to easily show people that its not always as hard as it looks so many more layouts could have the "from the ground up" excellence you layout will definately end up with.

My current logic: (a little "tongue in cheek")

(1) It takes less time to make your own: Example...

Trip to hobby shop - say 3/4 hour each way. Brwosing hobby shop because you can't help it - 3/4 hour
total time to buy a point - 2-1/4 hours

total time to make a point with mail-ordered copperclad & rail that looks & runs trains better than the one you bought - 1-1/2 hours (after the first couple anyway)

(2) Its way cheaper: Example...
Cost of trip to hobby shop and back, say ₤5~10
cost of point - say ₤10
cost of the loco you saw in the hobby shop while browsing that you don't need but couldn't resist - say ₤65
total cost of point - ₤85

total cost of making the point that works better than the one you buy ₤5

ADD an hour and another fiver for doing it with chaired bullhead rail etc and it still looks good.

A bit extreme - but there's a bit of truth there too :) :)

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
looking good jim. please keep us up to date on progress.

I have an etched APT on the back burner. the coaches are basically designed apart fro a bit of work on the hatches along the underframe. i am looking for some dimentioned drawings of the cab. i think they might be at Crew. the trouble is that is actually quite a long way to go for me.

Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks All

It will be an exhibition layout and the overall size is currently 52 feet by 20 feet. I say currently as that is how big the fiddleyard is but it will probably be bigger.

Pic of the first set up of the fiddleyard boards (pic © Tim Horn). These were within half a millimeter of the designed size - lucky hu?

Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
342 Posts
Been checking the site about once a month since it was up and running just wondering when the emu section will be up and running ? must have plenty of pics of those 310's your building ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hiya

I am still part way through the window sticking stage of my 3 310/312 units - the first one I did didn't have the stick on windows. I have been distracted by later units, first producing my own etched bits to convert a bratchell emu to an early 317 (for the london stoppers) which had lead to bits for the 318 and 150/2 (455/8 coming next)

Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
342 Posts
I always think of 317's as stansted express units but I do remember them on the Peterborough services in the early days of the ECML electrification but since i stopped spotting in 1981 I always associate New street with the 310/312's and loads of met camms and BRCW dmu's plus the odd 87 or 2

By the way they are looking quite good what livery are you planning for your 317's ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 31 Aug 2007, 22:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>By the way they are looking quite good what livery are you planning for your 317's ?

Only ever saw 317's in NSE at Brum - unfortunately

Cheers

Jim

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE It will be an exhibition layout and the overall size is currently 52 feet by 20 feet
Taking the photograph appears to have been a project all of its own. It took me a few seconds to work out that the grey ridges in the foreground weren't some unplanted flower bed but a garage roof!

I look forward to seeing the layout when it's finished.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 30 Aug 2007, 22:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am just amazed at the work you produce. Is this going to be an exhibition layout?

I have just one photo of New Street taken earlier this year and I'm pretty certain that it matches the trackwork you have shown us. It can be found here in the gallery.

David

Hi David

Not quite as I have had to loose 2 platforms and a through road. Captures the feel of the place I think though

Cheers

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 31 Aug 2007, 21:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Been checking the site about once a month since it was up and running just wondering when the emu section will be up and running ? must have plenty of pics of those 310's your building ?

Hiya

There's a pic on the Scalefour society website of one. I have linked it here

Cheers

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 31 Aug 2007, 20:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Been checking the site about once a month since it was up and running just wondering when the emu section will be up and running ? must have plenty of pics of those 310's your building ?

Hiya

Still stockpiling images for the Unit section. What follows are a few DMU's for the moment

Lima 101 - Hornby Bogies

DC kits 108

Lima/craftsmann conversion - Hornby bogies

I have uploaded a modest gallery to the loco section dedicated to my 2 class 08's

Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jim,

I am most jealous. I 'tried' to start in P4 last year, but due to how long it takes to order anything like ultrascale wheels (8 months currently?), and the availability of certain parts for track building, I very quickly lost interest unfortunately...

Good flowing trackwork and tiny flangeways are the most important thing on any layout I think, and your pictures definitely do P4 a lot of justice. Good luck, and look forward to seeing out and about.

I meanwhile have moved up to 7mm.... and definitely enjoying it.

Regards,

Jonathan.

1 - 20 of 1966 Posts