Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
I started on my 'OO' garden railway a few months ago and thought it a good idea to show you all a few pictures of my progress.

To start with here are 3 pictures of my Hornby Suspension bridges spanning the pond (Actually i made the pond just for the bridges to span across)

Hope you like them. Please let me know what you think.

Kind reagrds

Paul

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Thanks for the pics Paul - I did run some HO outside some time ago & it worked pretty well, although, in the end I opted to set up some LGB which is still running.

Would like to see some more pics to go with the ones already posted.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Those bridges look really nice actually!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 7 Nov 2008, 19:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the pics Paul - I did run some HO outside some time ago & it worked pretty well, although, in the end I opted to set up some LGB which is still running.

Would like to see some more pics to go with the ones already posted.
Thanks for your interest Brian, I will be putting some more on over the weekend so please keep a look out for those.
This is in fact my third attempt at an OO garden railway! I just love to see those full length trains meandering around the garden.

Kind regards
Paul

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I have always liked that bridge. Thanks for the pix.

David

·
Registered
343 Posts
Bridges look good, looking forward to seeing more, I have a soft spot for small scale outdoors layouts, I had one but wimped out due to summer 2007 being a washout, here is one of the last videos i took

If I can help in anyway give me a shout.

John
RJR

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (John at RJR @ 7 Nov 2008, 21:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bridges look good, looking forward to seeing more, I have a soft spot for small scale outdoors layouts, I had one but wimped out due to summer 2007 being a washout, here is one of the last videos i took

If I can help in anyway give me a shout.

John
RJR

Hi John
That video was excellent how on earth do you add the sound and the star wars type wording i am very impressed.I have even added it to mt favourites on you tube!!.
I will definitely be adding more pictures over the weekend so please keep an eye out for them

Thankyou all for you kind words.

Kind regards
Paul

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi again everyone as promised here are a few more pictures of my garden railway.

i will start at the intended station area.

Moving on from the station area in a counter clockwise direction.

Please let me know what you think of me putting an O gauge line with the OO. My excuse is that i have no where else big enough to have an O gauge layout and as i have a few O gauge Loco's and stock it would be nice to be able to run them. See picture below.

Well thats about it for the moment i don't think i shall be laying any track as such over the winter but will probably paint the thermalite blocks to protect them.
I will start laying the track next sring when we start getting some decent weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Please don't be shy let me know what you think any contructive critism always well received.
Kind regards
Paul

·
Registered
343 Posts
looks good, If you want O guage and OO thats your choice no point having stuff in a box you cant run.

I use microsoft movie maker which is a standard part of windows (look in start / all programs from the task bar) all the effects are in there.

You may also want to look at Daves garden railway video, like you he has used concrete blocks.

John
RJR

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
The only question I have about the blocks is have you bedded them into some sand/gravel? If not, you might suffer premature movement due to the variety of the British weather.

David

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi dwb, The soil here is quite hard so i didn't need to put any sand/gravel down. They are cemented down with a strong mix of mortar though. I never put any down on my last garden railway and that was fine also.To be honest i can even stand on the blocks and they dont move!!!

Hi John thanks for the info i will have a look into that. Dave's layout looks very good to.
I will be looking at some more of your garden railway that is featured on you tube!!. It really was excellent John.

Kind regards to you both.

Paul

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone after encouragement from John (RJR) i have made a short video entitled "2 x 37s" i hope you all like it i have never done anythng like this before and it took me all evening!!. Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I don't think the "energy" in the train matches the sound track. I can't be more specific than that; maybe the beat on the music is too fast, something slower might work better.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (John at RJR @ 7 Nov 2008, 21:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had one but wimped out due to summer 2007 being a washout, here is one of the last videos i took

Does that mean its gone ?

The video was excellent - now I'm going to have to resist spending some time in the garden this afternoon with a ruler & laser level....................... (maybe it will rain).

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (madon37s @ 8 Nov 2008, 13:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Please let me know what you think of me putting an O gauge line with the OO. My excuse is that i have no where else big enough to have an O gauge layout and as i have a few O gauge Loco's and stock it would be nice to be able to run them.

Go for it - the thing I really like about garden railway is the informallity - I have "basic LGB" in the garden & no one seems to mind (or care) about mixing scales/gauges as long as things are running !

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE (maybe it will rain).

Having just checked the BBC cloud / rain forecast for the south and south east for this afternoon, it looks like Kent will be sunny for a time and then cloudy - no rain. For the central south coast it's a bit more touch and go but we should be able to get our "fix" of the sea somewhere this afternoon too.

David

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 8 Nov 2008, 23:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't think the "energy" in the train matches the sound track. I can't be more specific than that; maybe the beat on the music is too fast, something slower might work better.

David

Hi David
Thanks for comment, To be honest it is my first ever go at making a video and it was only a bit of fun to see what i could achieve plus they happen to be my favourite band of all time with my favourite diesel of all time plus the title of the track "rock n roll train" seemed very appropriate.

I will take your observation on board though thankyou.
Regards
Paul

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE To be honest it is my first ever go at making a video and it was only a bit of fun to see what i could achieve plus they happen to be my favourite band of all time with my favourite diesel of all time plus the title of the track "rock n roll train" seemed very appropriate.

I realised that and it took me a long time to compose my reply. I don't want to discourage you but I did want to communicate how I felt about it. I guessed it was your favourite band, I don't think I've heard any of their music (AC/DC?) before. For some reason (copyright?) they are not represented on Air Guitar 1, 2 or 3, I've just checked the title list. Being unfamiliar with the song, I didn't make out the railway connection until near the end
. The song did get my sub woofer going though.

Having said that, I've not thought of anything that I think would be a good fit, so I wouldn't do any better.

I look forward to the next one.

David

·
Registered
343 Posts
Paul - Good start to your movie directing career !!

Brian yes you are right the outdoor layout is no more, it was part of the deal with the household authorities to purchase a shed !

John
RJR

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (John at RJR @ 10 Nov 2008, 08:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Paul - Good start to your movie directing career !!

Brian yes you are right the outdoor layout is no more, it was part of the deal with the household authorities to purchase a shed !

John
RJR

Hi John thanks for kind comment. I suppose i should blame you for it really!!!!!. Seriously though thanks for your help and advice i love doing it and its too late for me now i am already addicted!!.
My wife calls me Steven Spielberg now!!.

Kind regards
Paul

1 - 20 of 237 Posts