Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 27 Nov 2008, 21:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Problem is that not all decoders support this and you are required to program on the main rather than the programming track where the DCC system would see two decoders and most probably lead to intense frustration trying to program a loco. I intend to replace all my Blueline decoders with QSI Quatum Revolution decoders as they become available.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

Hi Charles,

Its a nice loco - I have sold several and programmed a few more too... I'm a closet PRR fan too.

I always use a DP2x and the programming track for all blueline - with a PowerCab it works a treat every time. I end up programming very, very many of them because every other WA retailer hasn't a single cue how to go about it - the cheeky sods send all their customers to me to fix their problems!

I'd not think too hard about the quantum revolution - I HAVE THE FULL PROGRAMMING kit and caboodle for them and have done a dozen or so.... I'd stay with the Bluelines as is + the DP2's = my current experience is very lukewarm, I much prefer tsunami if a US made choice is wanted, ESU otherwise

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***QSI is loud to be sure, and a couple of specific sound files are really nice, including their Big Boy, the Alco RSD15 and the GM E series locos... but the sound is also messy in its mastering sometimes, frequently clipping and distinctly muddy very often, as distortion is also high / audio fidelity quite low compared to tsunami and ESU.

That aside, my comments relate more to the ease of management, programming and setup of the decoder - and refinement in running quaility.

I simply don't like the QSI approach to setup and programming at all... (sound programming, not simple CV changes). The manuals are appalling and in simple programming I find the spoken readback a real problem for users, as it stops correct timing of decoder acknowledgement vs DCC standards and so changes do not "take" quite often.Bbecause of this its very hard for some owners to make changes until I show them how to turn its annoying accented voice off!

Each decoder brand has high points - for example light control is better for US models with QSI and Tsunami and ESU falls down there a little while the way ESU actually handles the levels/dimming and on/off is far nicer than with the US decoders... Programmability of Tsunami is way better than QSI if you can climb into the processor a little (it can be done even though its not obvious) and ESU probably has the best potential in its sounnd file structure and evolution + loco control, but all are OK in general.

No one brand has it all.

regards

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.