Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone touched/seen/used the new PECO Collett? Hattons have posted pictures and claim to have stock. Looks OK to me but the price might be a bit of a challenge?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
By coincidence this subject was raised at Warley MRC on Tuesday!

Peco promised a state of the art model that would compare very well with the best of continental N gauge and if they have suceeded then the price will definitely not be an issue. This promise does appear to be the case!

This is what Peco have to say:-

QUOTE *** PECO Collett locomotives now arriving at your local model shop, RRP £140.00 ***

PECO DCC-equipped Ready-To-Run N-Gauge locomotive:

G.W.R. Collett 2251 Class 0-6-0 tender locomotive

PECO are pleased and proud to announce our first all-new N-Gauge locomotive for over 30 years. However, unlike our fondly-remembered Jubilee locomotive, this model will be manufactured and assembled at our factory in Beer, Devon, UK.

The 2251 Class locomotive was introduced by the G.W.R. in 1930, and construction of the 120 class members continued in batches until the 1940s. they were a versatile locomotive, equally at home on short pick-up goods on secondary routes and branch lines, or as assisting locomotives on summer Saturday expresses over the Cambrian routes. their universal use throughout the former G.W.R. system means that the model will be at home on all layouts of the G.W.R. and B.R. Western Region period.

Our model is also a first for the U.K. - fully DCC ready, equipped with a Lenz DCC decoder. the technology allows the model to operate equally well on DCC layouts, and by conventional analogue 12v DC layouts. There is no requirement to isolate or remove the decoder (chip).

three liveries are initially planned:

NL-24 G.W.R. Green,
with later G.W.R. lettering and crest
NL-25 G.W.R. Green,
with Shirt Button emblem
NL-27 B.R. (W) Black
with later B.R. crest

NL-26 has been reserved for another livery variation, but the decision to produce this has not yet been made. The running numbers of all variants are to be confirmed later.

The locomotive is finely detailed with precision plastic mouldings. the model carries fine cab and boiler handrails. The wheel profiles are also to a fine standard, and are fully spoked (see-through). To drive the model, it is fitted with a smooth and quiet running Japanese Mashima motor. this is fitted in the tender, which in turn means that there is daylight beneath the boiler, a very pleasing aspect of the model!

Some detail parts are to be supplied separately for installation by the modeller (push-fit, no glue required):

Rear tender handrails
Brake handle
Water gauge

As supplied, the locomotive will negotiate a 9" radius curve. A separate, alternative draw bar will allow closer (and thus more prototypical) mounting of the tender to the locomotive. With this, the model will negotiate a minimum radius of 12.

The model is not fitted with a coupling hook at the front, but one is supplied as an additional accessory if required.

The model comes DCC equiped with a Lenz decoder!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Yawn Yawn
Peco have been promising delivery for the last 15 months. Peco obviously have had a problem either with tooling or the actual design, or supply of third party items like the motor, and gear box/drive system. Or assuming they would do an initial run of 5000 units decoders !

I wonder what happened to the moulds for the Jubilee they were at Riverossi ? would that make them Hornby property - I wonder.

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 13 Jul 2007, 10:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder what happened to the moulds for the Jubilee they were at Riverossi ? would that make them Hornby property - I wonder.
The production was with Rivarossi, but who actually owned the tools? Not that it matters that much, although it's a fair while ago now, my memory of it is that the model was discontinued because some of the tooling was at end of life.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The tools of the Jubilee are worn out according to Peco. I spoke with them about this at the Warley Model railway Show. As Rivarossi property they may well be among the Lima relics at Margate.

QUOTE Peco obviously have had a problem either with tooling or the actual design

Peco were pretty open about this at the Warley Model Railway Show. They wanted the model to have a chasis/running gear/motor that was bomb proof and were prepared to test and retest cogs and gears and motors to destruction until they had a final design that they were happy with. Their aim was to deliver a product of the highest quality not previously seen in Brtish N gauge with a design that Switzerland's finest watchmakers would be proud of!

They realiseed that it was difficult to compete with a company whose products are made on a production line in China so Peco wanted to offer something just a little different and the N gauge market in the Uk is of a size that suits the type of production numbers Peco had in mind.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gday, I have recently brought one of these models, and I must say I am very disappointed with it, the detail on the model it self is brilliant.

Its a very weak model and can only move about 2/3 peco wagons up a slight hill, and it only has one rubber tyre and seams to be wabble.

Dose anyone know how to get in contact with peco via email? I have looked everywhere for an Email address to talk to them about this problem.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
We have two peco colletts left in our shop at the moment - I assume you are talking about the N gauge one ( dcc fitted ) its 120-00 here if that helps we have had a load in and they are slowly going.

Nikki

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (thunder_from_downunder @ 28 Apr 2008, 02:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...Dose anyone know how to get in contact with peco via email? I have looked everywhere for an Email address to talk to them about this problem.

You could try www.peco-uk.com - I think they can be contacted via the website.

Regards,
John Webb

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
QUOTE (thunder_from_downunder @ 28 Apr 2008, 13:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>G'day John

I have looked all over that site, I found no Email address for them.
Has anyone else got one of these locos?
Peco are notoriously uninterested in the internet, they pretty much expect you to contact them using the mail or phone info on their site. I well appreciate that the phone particularly is a poor option for a customer in Australia, with the large offset between our respective time zones. I remember when this model appeared last year there were some discussions online about weak traction and riding, which was both a disappointment and a surprise. The surprise was because the old Peco Jubilee, (also tender driven but made by Rivarossi for Peco) was such a good performer. Couple of theories were doing the rounds about the lack of traction: some people thought the tender was balancing on the centre axle so the traction tyre was not sitting on the rail; others wondered if (some proportion of) the traction tyres had come out slightly undersized so they were sitting above the rail. There were also comments that the single traction tyre would lead to wobble under any real load, due to the assymetric torque reaction, and that a traction tyre on both wheels of one axle would be a far better bet. Not being an N gauger I haven't kept up with the outcome of these discussions. Since it is a new purchase is there any mileage in getting the retailer to do some research for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that, I will look around to see what I can find.
I am really disappointed with the loco as the Collett Goods is a favorite of mine, And have been awaiting the locos arrival for some time.

With a bit of luck I can Ebay it and get the money back that I spent on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have one of these locos and have to admit that like others I am far from impressed with it. I have in the past telephoned Peco on another matter. To be perfectly frank whilst the person I spoke to was just about polite but they obviously knew nothing about their own products and were definitely not interested in discussing them with a customer. So I gave it up as a bad job, made an excuse and hung up and have never bothered calling them since.

To my mind Peco have got to start getting their act together a bit quickly or they could find themselves in trouble. Apart from the disappointing Collett and the new point motors most of their products are long past their sell by dates as well as being overpriced. In this day and age when purse strings are being tightened and buying almost anything from anywhere in the world is just a matter of pushing a couple of buttons people want value for their money and will not accept second best just because it is sold by a British firm.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ahammond @ 2 May 2008, 06:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To my mind Peco have got to start getting their act together a bit quickly or they could find themselves in trouble. Apart from the disappointing Collett and the new point motors most of their products are long past their sell by dates as well as being overpriced. In this day and age when purse strings are being tightened and buying almost anything from anywhere in the world is just a matter of pushing a couple of buttons people want value for their money and will not accept second best just because it is sold by a British firm.
Very true - often the only choice of one if you are in a real shop though.

Everything from the jaded products, to the staid catalogue & their set in their ways attitude puts the whole issue firmly back in the last century.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 2 May 2008, 07:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Everything from the jaded products, to the staid catalogue & their set in their ways attitude puts the whole issue firmly back in the last century.

Perhaps they are just waiting for an offer from a certain company based in the South East of England. Not Sure that they would want it though.

Regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Whould anyone have an Idear on how much these whould be worth?
peco collett goods
farish 060 pannia tank
dapol 2-6-2 tank
20 odd peco wagons?
I have these and was thinking of selling the lot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They do run very smoothly, until you put a couple of trucks or carriages behind them when all of a sudden they have difficulty in moving at all.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
It's called the "Peco Creepco", they should be ashamed at the price they charge.

Perhaps Bachmann or Dapol would have produced a better loco. The bloke on the Isle of Man producing N gauge Steam in his garden shed (exaggeration) would certainly have made a success of it, his designs are bullet proof and have prestigious pulling power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 4 Jun 2008, 18:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's called the "Peco Creepco", they should be ashamed at the price they charge.

Perhaps Bachmann or Dapol would have produced a better loco. The bloke on the Isle of Man producing N gauge Steam in his garden shed (exaggeration) would certainly have made a success of it, his designs are bullet proof and have prestigious pulling power.

We have several Union Mills locos running on Moorcock Junction. The most we have pulled so far is 48 assorted Dapol / Farish carriages, and a mixture of all manufacturers wagons, mainly Peco...172...yes 172!!!

I believe the unofficial record for a Union Mills is 208 straight from the box.
Not sure we could repeat the exercise now though as we have switched all our goods stock to DG couplings.
Cheers
N Gauge Bob
(owner Moorcock Junction)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just out of interest do you know if it would be much of a job to chip a Union Mills loco? I have never actually seen one of their products in the flesh but I have heard a lot of good about them and if they are capable of being converted to DCC then I would see them as being a far better choice than the miserable effort that Peco sell.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts