Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
One of lifes big mystery's for me, the workings of electrofrog points, has been fully explained to me in a one to one session with somebody who fully understands them.

Peco's own instructions and catalogue don't tell you what they do. They simply say that you need insulating fishplates in certain parts of the track if you do certain things.

Now I understand what they do I understand why Peco give you the instructions that they give you in connection with insulating fishplates.

Why can't Peco say what they do before telling you what you need to do?

That would help considerably!

I am now an Electrofrog expert so you can pop your questions about Electrofrog points here.

Of course if you don't have any then it would be safe to assume that I was the only former Electrofrog duhbrain in the whole world!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
DT
4,794 Posts
When I got into model railways a while back, I bought a whole bunch of Jouef insulfrog points. They caused all sorts of problems.

I somehow found Tower Hobbies in the UK and they sold me (on their good advice) Peco insulfrog points. They didn't work either and I had quite a few little locos stranded on the frogs.

I returned them to swap for electrofrog. Parcel was 'lost'. Moved on from Tower and found RoS where I re-equipped with Peco electrofrog. Good products, but now I have discovered Tillig and I am unable to look a Peco point in the eye and not feel sad for the thing...

Anybody want a handful of Jouef points and a collection of Peco?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
welcome to electrofrom enlightenment!

I am glad you got a 121 with someone who really knows what they are doing.

Doing fiddle yards and run around loops are very interesting. you suddenly have trains moving for no reason!

now for the next step. make your own points! (its really not that hard-just take your time)

Peter

·
Registered
204 Posts
And now for the exam!

How do you arrange track and power so that you can use an electrofrog crossing WITHOUT using any auxillary switches or power routing!

:)

All points on this layout are peco electrofrog.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.p.thornton/...tonGarden3.html

Only the middle track of the three track loop has any special power arrangements. There are no power routing switches anywhere.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I use a mix of insulfrog and electrofrog, on my N gauge layout
The points in my fiddle yards are all PECO Setrack insulfrog, as they help maximise the space usage
The points in the scenic area are all PECO Streamline electrofrog, as some locos may be moving very slowly and the last thing you need is for them to stall out there!

For electrofrog points, I've only put insulators on the frogs of the points, even for the complex crossovers on my layout
However, since my layout is DCC I have split the layout into three zones, so there are other insulators across the main running lines, so you could argue that these separate the outer rails as well!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi all
The main reason for using Electrofrog points is to ensure slow running over the frog doesn't cause the loco to stall which can happen on Insulafrog points especially where small wheelbase stock is used. e.g. 0-4-0 & 0-6-0 etc.
If Electrofrog points are used then there is a need to insulate the two frog Vee rails by inserting insulated joiners somewhere after the frogs Vee. Normally this is easily done by slipping a couple of insulated joiners onto the rail ends of the point at the crossing (frog) vee. The reason is that as the point switch blades moves from one stock rail to the other the polarity at the frog changes and the two rails leading away will both carry the new polarity and one rail will somewhere meet the opposite polarity and cause a short circuit to occur. The outer two rails (Stock rails) really don't need any insulators installed as these don't change polarity. However, often this is insulated just to ensure against any possible electrical back feeds causing problems. Crossovers are one place where both rails in the crossover need to be insulated, (They are in fact both frog Vee rails really!) New track feed are then connected after the insulated joiners.
One major item that often get overlooked with Electrofrog points is that all track feed must flow from the tip of the points (before the switch rails start) to the frog. Never allow a feed to come in via the frog. Hence the 'blocking effect' of the two insulators placed after the frog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.