Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My brother is fencing a farm etc., using PECO 5 plank fence panels, on his layout and has tried every glue he and I can think of the fix it in place. The holes are drilled for the posts and that's fine but joining two sections together just does not work. When two panels are together you need to remove one post leaving the five rails loose these obviousley would need to be fixed to the ajoining post but nothing seems to attack the PVC/Polythene type plastic they are moulded from.
This seems to be a common requirement but I have not come across an adhesive that will do anything but jam the planks in place providing they are not touched.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Loctite make a prep coat to be put on difficult surfaces before glueing. It works extremely well as it creates a (very thin) "undercoat" layer on the slippery plastic part that is optimised for using any cyanoacrylate (superglue)

Richard

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have used this fencing for 30 years and it has never occurred to me to glue it. You push the little pegs in..it stays. I bit of paint for weathering also helps it stay. Its not like 4mm livestock try to push it over. personally i hate the stuff..good in its day but I do expect something more user friendly now. Otherwise its hardly more time to scratch build something.

Andrew

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Personally I have found that Faller expert seems to do the job.

Regards

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A long interweb search finds the only glue which mentions bonding polyethylene is 3M Scotch-Grip Plastic Adhesive 4693. Haven't tried it myself, so don't know how good it is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
Thanks again for all the advice I think the Loctite route might be first choice. The panels are fitted into holes in the base but when you need to join 2 panels together you end up with 2 post side by side. Therefore he needs to cut one off and then join the loose planks to the remaining post. I am sure scratch building may be the future route but I suspect that this appeared the easy way when the panels were offered. Thanks again we will try several I am sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts