Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, Can anybody tell me which of the two Peco Point Motors are best for DCC use PL-10 or PL-10W to be fitted with PL-15 twin microswitch for frog switching, used with NCE Snap-it Accessory Decoder or will the Seep Point Motor be better for DCC,thanking you Mike.

·
Registered
266 Posts
QUOTE (firefly @ 13 Jan 2009, 20:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi there, Can anybody tell me which of the two Peco Point Motors are best for DCC use PL-10 or PL-10W to be fitted with PL-15 twin microswitch for frog switching, used with NCE Snap-it Accessory Decoder or will the Seep Point Motor be better for DCC,thanking you Mike.

I use Peco PL10's fitted with PL13 accessory switch's powered through Lenz LS150 accessory decoders with out problems.

Ian sa

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Are you using these zmil? If so what are they like? I tried to send them an email to the listed Australian supplier but it bounced back immediately.

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
I see. Thanks for that. Servo control seems to be where the money is in these types of things. Team Digital do a similar product too. I recently spent US$77 on 6 tortoises from NY City and a bunch of other circuitron items and paid about UA$25 for delivery from memory which was a great deal I reckon.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the post.

Regarding the above original question I would use the Masterswitch instead of the twin micro switch to eliminate the need for the motor to drive anything other than the point.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hijacking and going off on a tangent is a MRF specialty

The US shop had the 4 Motor with DCC decoder kit for $84

$73 for the 4 standard motor kit , you seem to get everything you need to install them including switches screws and wiring

Must be hard to break into that market when Tortoise dominate

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
827 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 14 Jan 2009, 03:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hijacking and going off on a tangent is a MRF specialty

The US shop had the 4 Motor with DCC decoder kit for $84

$73 for the 4 standard motor kit , you seem to get everything you need to install them including switches screws and wiring

Must be hard to break into that market when Tortoise dominate

Regards

Zmil
These are basically RC servos - £3 each on Ebay. MERG have a controller board for 4 servos that you can connect to a standard DCC accy decoder.

Andrew

·
Registered
116 Posts
Returning to the original questions, I would say that the PL10W is preferable. The Bromsgrove Models website recommends it over the standard version for use with the NCE Snapit; this is presumably based on practical experience. In principle there seems little point in using a device with an extremely high current consumption when something less demanding is available. There are some people who have claimed that the W version does not have adequate power, but that is not my experience. I have a number in use and they work well. I suggest that you buy one and try it out for yourself.

I can't say if the SEEP is preferable. The 2 makes have their adherents. I tried a SEEP, but at an early stage the board on which the components are mounted split in 2, so I have bought no more.

I agree with other contributors that you might do better with something different. I am gradually converting to a variety of motor drives. I have tried various (Tortoise, Fulgurex, Schuhmacher, Tillig) and find the Tortoise easiest to fit, though because of its size you need a fairly deep baseboard. The Peco and SEEP devices are both pretty crude. By the time you have added the PL15 microswitches to the Peco, which cost more than the motor (the long term reliability of the PL13 switch is generally considered dubious), it is not even cheap. Also using an individual decoder for each point will work out very expensive. NCE do a decoder for Tortoises that controls 2 points for the same money and one that controls 8 at not much more than a third of the cost per point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts