Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, although I'm getting on a bit , I've embarked on a model railway layout.
Track and points laid but im having an issue with a short 6 wheel loco over the points. I feel the remedy is to use peco points that have the removable links and to solder two wires onto the blades for more reliability.
This mod is common on the net but I cant find a dealer that sells a peco point with the two links bridging the gap.
Does anyone know a part number for this point in N gauge please.

·
In depth idiot
7,808 Posts
Welcome John.
Cannot answer your question as I haven't looked at N gauge product in years. If no one else quickly pops up with a useful answer, I would suggest contacting Peco directly, stressing that you are a new customer.
Then go to 'help and advice' in the header bar to ask your question.

·
Administrator
9,890 Posts
Disclaimer - I don't model in N gauge but maybe some of this info will help ...

If the photo on this Peco web page are correct, I don't see the little breaks in the rails that would have removable links underneath. - https://peco-uk.com/products/turnout-large-radius-right-hand11 It makes me wonder whether such links are available in N?

I know the links exist on OO track because I have removed them in the past.

Peco are in the processing of moving all their points to use the 'Unifrog' design. It will take a good number of years for the full range to be converted, but in case the point you are looking for has Unifrog, this video should help:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you 34c and dwb for the information, I suspect that the links don't exist in N gauge so I will have to make the cuts myself and solder the wires.
I will enquire first though to see if my particular points are available in unifrog.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi John , my late father built the N layout that I now own but I do remember him using a Jewellers saw he bought on Ebay for cutting the gaps in the track , I have since used it once for a set of points that dad had'nt got around to replacing after one of the moving blades snapped off , they make really fine cuts and I would personally recommend them for gaping tracks .

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Just beware that the cut sections of rail may not enough attachment to the point - I cut the rails on a small Code 100 OO/HO Y that was not supplied cut in the appropriate locations and one cut section ended up having to be superglued back into place

1 - 8 of 8 Posts