Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Richard,

I've been contemplating doing this on my own points control panel but couldn't work out where and how to make the connections to the LEDs.

This is my present wiring diagram

Could I possibly prevail upon you to mark up this drawing to show how the connections to LEDs should be made.

Cheers,

Trevor

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 30 Jun 2008, 18:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Hi Trevor

here it is.... dead simple really. I emphasise thought that you must use a totally separate power supply (ie one only for the LEDs that has its own mains plug)

Richard

Thanks Richard.

Looking at your diagram am I right in thinking that one wire from each LED can simply be connected to the Main DCC Bus and all I need to run from each point is a wire from the Frog to the Power Supply ? Could this be done via a separate bus wire and, if so, what size wire for the bus ??

Sorry if I'm being dumb but, as Tony says, it is Monday.

Thanks again,

Trevor

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 30 Jun 2008, 20:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** Trevor - qualifying that previous answer - effectively you COULD attach the LED wires to the rails rather than the switch - the wire needed would only be light as all its carrying is the LED - a few mA only. the "control" wire to the LED remains the switch in that case anyway.... also light

Richard
DCCconcepts

Hi Richard,

Yep it's definitely Monday and now I'm even more confused.

Looking at your diagram, one terminal of each LED and a connection to the DCC bus both meet at terminals D and E respectively on the Seep Motor. It just seemed logical to me to bypass the motor and go straight to the DCC bus. i.e. A lot less wiring necessary.

Are you saying that I have to have a separate power supply for each point to make the circuit between the frog and the LEDs. ?? If this is the case then I think I will scratch that idea as I have 35 sets of points.

Cheers,

Trevor.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Richard,

Thanks. It's all becoming clearer now. I was trying to get to grips with which parts of the wiring diagram for a single point could be made common for 35 sets of points. Obviously the DCC Bus could be common and the wire from the PS to the LEDs could also be common. It was just how the frog connections worked that was giving me a headache.

Problem resolved.

Thanks again,

Trevor

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (Sol @ 2 Jul 2008, 02:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now I am confused.
I can see the drawing by Expat ( Trevor) on Post #6 but cannot see Richard's drawing on post#8.

Richard, can you either re-post it or send it to me direct please? You have my e-mail.

Hi Sol,

It's attached as a pdf file so you need Adobe Reader to open it.

Cheers,

Trevor.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Tony,

I think you've confused this with another thread.

This one's about LED Point Indicator Lights, not track painting.

Luckily I had printed out Richards diagram so here it is again.

View attachment Point_LED_Wiring.pdf

Cheers,

Expat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
The diagrams are actually incorrect as they do not follow the terminal arrangement of the Seep motor so you should follow the Seep wiring diagram, A, C, D, E, F, B otherwise frog polarity change-over will not work.

Terminals A, B & C are for the power input and switch connections to drive the motor.

Terminals D, E, & F are connected to the track and the DCC Bus for frog polarity change-over. These are the terminals to which your LEDs should be connected as there is always a power supply to them via the track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.