Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or do many tender locos and other long wheel based tank engines refuse to run smoothly (i.e. without falling off or jamming) over peco points

Does anyone else have this problem or any solutions?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
the issue may well be the ''radius' of the curved portion?

Setrack points [or even, the likes of Hornby] are about the most compact turnouts available.

firstly, I would examine the loco's /stock that have issues with these points.

look for, correct back-to back...[or much better, check rail gauge...ie back of one wheel, to outside of flange of other] measurements of the wheelsets involved.

then examine for any 'obstructions' on the models concerned, preventing bogie or truck swing..things like footsteeps, etc...[also, for many new models, manufactuers issue a 'minimum radius' the model is known to be happy with]

Moving to the points....firstly, Peco point really do like to be mounted FLAT.

sometimes, when using an approved underlay to the track, the points can end up adopting a 'bowed' shape...as pressure from underneath is brought to bear.

the methods/locations of the point to base fixing can also induce a 'bow'..one way or the other, into the point.

this will tend to lift rigid wheelbases......a create a 'low' spot, to derail at.

Older Peco turnouts had an issue with the moulded plastic crossing [or 'frog]....where the plastic bit COULD be slightly raised above the rail height.....a pass or two with a large, flat 'mill' file over the turnout cured things there.

if there is an issue with wheelsets picking the 'wrong route' at the nose of the crossing....then a simple solution would be to glue a thin sliver of plasticard to the inside of the check rail.[between the check rail and its adjacent stock rail]...this will tend to 'pull' the wheelset towards the appropriate stock rail, away from the nose of the crossing.

of course, these are all quick fixes.........a properly made point shpouldn't require pressure on the check rails.

so.....check wheelsets, obstructions on stock [that prevent necessary swing] then go to the turnouts.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There's a simple answer, I'm afraid - they're very coarse indeed, meaning they have flangeways which , if not quite the size of the Grand Canyon are certainly significantly larger than normal Streamline.

The only real solution is "shimming" the checkrails to narrow the gap:

alaistairq
QUOTE if there is an issue with wheelsets picking the 'wrong route' at the nose of the crossing....then a simple solution would be to glue a thin sliver of plasticard to the inside of the check rail.[between the check rail and its adjacent stock rail]...this will tend to 'pull' the wheelset towards the appropriate stock rail, away from the nose of the crossing.

I really don't like Setrack I'm afraid

1 - 3 of 3 Posts