Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as my layout is fairly compact, I am using some Curved Peco Setrack points. I have bought a couple of points, from separate sources. They are both second hand, and neither has any part number stamped on the base........But there is quite a difference between them ? One point is quite a bit 'longer' overall, the sleepers seem to be moulded finer and the frog seems to have tighter tolerances, this seems to help when 4 wheel wagons are passing over.
Can anyone tell me why they are made different? Is the short 'courser' point an older version?
Obviously, I would like to get more of the longer, smoother version, but I need more info to help me get the right ones.
thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Besides the 'set-track' points Peco also do the 'Universal Streamline' system with points that are generally of larger radius. These are available in both 'Code 100' rail - the same size as the 'Set-track' - and in 'Code 75' which is closer to scale height. It sounds to me as if one point is the 'Set-track' type and the larger is from the 'Streamline' range.

Peco do a large sheet of full-size templates, available from their dealers; get hold of a copy if you can and you should be able to match up the larger point to one of the templates.

If you have the space to use the larger radius points I would recommend that you do as locos and rolling stock prefer the easier running through them.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the info.
The Peco plans are very useful. I can get a couple of Streamline Code100 curved points in a couple of positions, but will still need to use a couple of the setrack ones as well.
Most of my loco's are either old ( Wrenn & H/D 8F's, Blue Pullman) or small (J94's, NLR 0-6-0 ) so should be Ok with the tighter curves.
I called in at a Model shop in Newport (shropshire) today on my way home, to show them the points. Both of the points have 'Setrack' moulded in the sleeper bases. The helpful gentleman in the shop thought the 'shorter' more crudely made point, was a much older Setrack point, whilst the 'longer', more finer detailed one, matches up exactly with a new ST-244 point in the shop. It would appear that the design must have changed in the past.
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts