Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUOTE PECO are the largest manufacturer of trackwork and the most track sold in the USA is - yes PECO

A quote from another forum that I have been browsing through.

The boys and girls at Beer are clearly doing something right!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
25 Posts
Their new code 83 is certainly something.

May I add something about Peco track for use on German layouts? I found this page on a website whic shows a prototype turnout with hinged switch rails- I realise that many regard Peco as 'naff' however they are are fairly well regarded here in Germany because of the reliability and ability to accept RP25 wheels-a feature that defeats Rocoline and RocoGeo completely.

German Track

Laying Peco is much easier than Tillig, the sleepers do not move out of alignment and the gauge does not tighten as a result. Neither is their a tendancy for the turnouts to move unlike Tillig. One last feature, the Tillig railfixing clip is slightly higher than the Peco and despite the lower profile of the Peco Code 75, the Tillig clip will foul some types of Fleischmann and Trix vehicles.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE PECO are the largest manufacturer of trackwork and the most track sold in the USA is - yes PECO

I feel another wager coming on ... and my money is on Atlas. Gary where do you come up with this stuff?

I can walk into any hobby shop in the US and I'll see Atlas track, I can't say the same for PECO. This is not to say Atlas is better, just that they are ubiquitous.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dennis, its just a quote that I spotted that was made by a member in another forum.

And its not a wager I would take!

Their code 83 track has enjoyed a strong market in the USA according to Peco. This came up in the conversation I had with them a few months back.

QUOTE I realise that many regard Peco as 'naff'

You do surprise me as Peco is the track of choice by seemingly everybody who has a layout featured in the British modelling press.

I suppose there are the scale OO sleeper fanatics who regard everybody's track as 'naff'!

And the Irish and Spanish who have to live with a different prototype gauge to the rest of us. I wonder how their HO track debates go?

All this Peco talk. I wonder how their new N gauge loco is coming along?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I was just pulling your chain Gary.

PECO has a very good reputation in the US where Atlas is more known for their setrack. That being said if you went into a hobby shop and asked to buy some flextrack they would hand you Atlas flex track 95% of the time and pretty much 100% if you asked for it in N-Scale. It's just what's most available.

I also don't agree with the statement that PECO track is naff but then they all look a bit naff when compared with good Code 55-40 hand-laid track. I don't worry about the track as much as I do other things. I just want it to be dependable with point motors that work well and are easy to setup.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dennis,

The comment about Peco's 'naff' appearance came from another contributor on this forum.

BTW, I have seen a combination of C&L OO and Peco code 75 HO being used to give a good representation of lightly laid track used on branches and such.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Yep my vote goes to PECO as well. Code 100 streamline, Ni-Ag .At least can leave something behind to my kids. My old Lima's are all a dustbin case.

Baykal

·
Registered
19 Posts
You do surprise me as Peco is the track of choice by seemingly everybody who has a layout featured in the British modelling press.

Surely this just applies if the only modelling press you read is the Railway Toddler, the Peco house journal in effect.

If Tillig, plus the current upsurge in calls for British sleepered 00, disturbs them from their self-satisfied perch of decades we may end up with some track that the current high quality RTR is worth running on!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
QUOTE (El Tel @ 28 Aug 2006, 05:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Their new code 83 is certainly something.
May I add something about Peco track for use on German layouts? I found this page on a website whic shows a prototype turnout with hinged switch rails- I realise that many regard Peco as 'naff' however they are are fairly well regarded here in Germany because of the reliability and ability to accept RP25 wheels-a feature that defeats Rocoline and RocoGeo completely.

'Loose heal' switches as these turnouts are known, are entirely prototypical, even in the UK. They were quite common pre-1948 and could still be seen in sidings. We pulled some out of Sheffield Park on the Bluebell Railway back when it was remodelled in 75/76.

Graham Plowman

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I didn't know that.

I have been buying Weinert from Three point five in Oxfordshire.
I'll give Peco a try.
Many thanks for the info Brian.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts