Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the excellent Peco Twistlock point motors since they came out and find that they suit me just fine but now I have hit a snag.
I am updating a layout and employing a slightly thicker baseboard and consequently the drive pins are now too short. I have obtained a supply of 1mm steel rod but am at a loss as to how to remove the existing pins, which seem well and truly stuck in, and then, if removed, how to fix the replacements in place.
Any and all help gratefully received.
If all else fails I shall have to revert to using my stock of Seep PM1s but have got so used to the hassle free way of fitting the Twistlocks that I am reluctant to do so.
Regards
D4SS

·
C55
2,674 Posts
You might try the method similar to increasing / decreasing the back to backs on some locos. You might place a narrow tube [longer then the pin] over the pin end you wish to make longer, then place the other end of the tube onto your worktop, then dap the free end of the pin with a small hammer - gently... A dab of thin superglue on the rod where it's fixed might help it stay at the new length. {Applied with a small, old, brush, not the spout, to ensure the glue only goes to the pin, where it goes through it's mount. Guess how I found that out!!]

Julian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice idea but then the pin would be too thick to go through the tie bar hole without drilling the hole larger with subsequent weakening of the already thin plastic.

·
C55
2,674 Posts
Nice idea but then the pin would be too thick to go through the tie bar hole without drilling the hole larger with subsequent weakening of the already thin plastic.
I'm obviously not describing the idea properly, my apologies.
The idea is to use the tube as an anvil, running it up the pin to where the pin is secured to it's lever. The opposite end of the pin can then be tapped, with a small hammer, to push it down a little way into the tube. The tube is then removed from the pin, so it can be refitted to the points.

J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If all else fails 2k Technologies sell the extenion rod sets nominally for the PL10 motor (which I would have thought Peco can supply) - some of the quantities seem to be cheaper on their web site
while others appear to be cheaper on Ebay
Thank you for the link; most useful. If all else fails (awaiting a reply from Peco) then I think that will be the route I will explore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts