Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone ,
ive enjoyed reading this forum over the past couple of hours,my problem is this -:

i bought a DC pendolino split from a set for my lad of 5 for christmas ,i made a board for him on a 6 x 4 peice of chipboard with peco track on gaugemaster underlay ,i have tested this with a new hornby class 60 ive had for a while but not had a chance to run and it literally runs all day with no issues,
the problem i have is the pendolino seems to run for around 5 or 6 mins then just comes to a halt as if shorted,i reset the controller a hornby R965 (black with red knob ) by un plugging the transformer for around 20 seconds then the pendolino is off again only to do the same again a few minutes later ,ive had a look at wheels ect and there seemed to be an excessive amount of drag from the dummy car from the pickups im presuming are for lights the wheels didnt spin at all so ive applied oil and bent the pickups away for the time being till i sort this problem and now the wheels are spinning and there is much less resistence on it ,ive tried just running the power car alone and it does run well for around 10- 15 mins at low speed then stops also which is confusing me as i thought it was the weight of the trailing cars overloading the power car at first ,so ive decided i need a new controller and was going to replace my basic one with the R8250 which i think comes with the pendo set as im thinking it maybe drawing to much power from the little one and causing the short ?? any tips advice appreciated as my 5 yr old is chomping at the bit to start playing with it and he is getting fed up with dad saying im "testing" it

thanks in advance

·
Keen railway enthusiast
1,027 Posts
Hello, sorry to hear of your Pendolino problems. I was going to refer you to hornby.com/forums because there has been lots of the same problem reported on there. However I cannot find any of the complaint threads now. I am sure they are still there so you may also like to post your question there as well. This will I hope bring up the issue again and you will also get more answers.

·
Keen railway enthusiast
1,027 Posts
It is possible that the motor is overloading due to tightness then getting hot and causing excessive friction. Sparing lubrication may help. DO NOT USE WD40 or 3in 1 if you decide to lubricate it as this will damage the motor eventually. Get some correct oil from a model shop.

·
Keen railway enthusiast
1,027 Posts
Simon, take it back or send it back to Hornby or the retailer as you have a quality problem here under the "sale of goods act". I am sorry that you have not had any help yet, which is unusual, so let Hornby or the retailer sort it out. It is obviously faulty as with many others over this period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi well ive had it apart and given it a good oil with some light oil and had good results it hasnt happened since so thanks for the advice,,,,not overly kid freindly i know 5 is very young but even just turning the power on too quick derails the power car i think it may need a bit more weight and a bit of tinkering maybe DCC is the answer so as to limit speed

·
Deo confido, ne unum crede
288 Posts
Hi Simon

In fairness, whilst it has drop dead gorgeous appeal in it's McPaint scheme, the Pendo was probably not the best operational choice for any five year old I know. If a MI HST was sought, a Javelin would've been better if not quite as brightly finished. (I have two non-RAILROAD)

I've had a Hornby DCC Pendolino for just on three years now. She's a solid reliable runner. It was my initial foray into model railways. That there might possibly be a problem occurring within specific batches notwithstanding, I can say with confidence that on 3rd radius track my Pendo sticks to the rails like it was glued to them, and has no problem traversing insulfrog or even tight setrack geometry points (slow traverse when changing outer-inner-outer loops assumed).

That said, things to correct/look out for which I've corrected as discovery brought them to my attention.

Wheel Back to Back. Hornby perpetually undergauge their product OOTB closer to 14.1mm than 14.5. Whilst I had no problem running mine (since corrected), all the bogies wheel BTBs were under the recommended 14.5mm for setrack. This is the first thing I'd watch out for and regauge if you are getting derailments.

Copper pickup wipers. Ordinarily they are not a friction problem per se. Do make sure all the tangs are actually touching the wheels, and until the black annodising has been scuffed from the wheel backs, it's not a bad idea to put a lightest smear of conductive lube on them which will both reduce friction and assist conduction. CRC make switch cleaner lubricant which is perfect for the task.

Bogie 'seating'. The bogies do have a tendency to dislodge and hang up in the chassis if you inadvertently apply pressure to them in handling. This will cause them to stick so they won't swivel properly which will naturally invoke tracking problems. Ensure the bogies are fully floating with full and free rotations within their obvious limits.

Traction tyres. About the only potential problem in terms of accelerative slipping, especially if the track is moist (humid) or any lube has contaminated them.

Lastly and IMO the most likely cause of your runs fine then stops problem. The free floating nature of the bogies to achieve tilting renders those black wires from the pickups to the motor which run through the bogie to the chassis easily subject to damage. A weak design point of the model, the arrangement is unnecessarily fragile subjecting those wires to too easily being fractured or severed internally, crushed, broken and/or detaching at the solder points if exposed to excessive or rough handling/collision/derailment impact. Check them, resolder or replace if necessary. Given the described intemittant nature of your 'runs fine then stops suddenly' problem, London to a brick an almost detached or severed wire will be found to be the root cause.

If not any of the above, then as an outside possibility the motor may be heat seizing as others have suggested although I do find this most unlikely as a hypothesis especially given my own experience (see further) and that it runs for up to 15 minutes which were it heat, would occur in a much shorter time frame IMO. I have three of those motors with identical worm to drive and driven gear bogied drive arrangement in two Javelins and a Pendolino. I ran-in both Javelins DC prior to chipping them and the motors coped just fine running continuously in varying direction at varying speeds OOTB for an hour. Now DCC'd, they'll happily run until forever without hitch or glitch as does the Pendo.

GL. Hope some of the information proffered above proves fruitful in assisting you to resolve the problem with your Pendo.

Keiron

·
Why is'nt it easy !!
2,155 Posts
QUOTE (Simon Eaton @ 22 Jan 2012, 20:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi well ive had it apart and given it a good oil with some light oil and had good results it hasnt happened since so thanks for the advice,,,,not overly kid freindly i know 5 is very young but even just turning the power on too quick derails the power car i think it may need a bit more weight and a bit of tinkering maybe DCC is the answer so as to limit speed

I had issues with this loco derailing and I now have 3 it was only when I got the 3rd one I worked out the issue as the first 2 were secondhand. When I got the 3rd one I noticed that one my new one there was a tyre on each side of the drive bogie and on the first 2 the tyres were on the same side so I popped one wheel and swapped it over and no more derailing on start up.. I hope this helps...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks gents ill have to look into this obviously the smoother it runs the better,of course my 5 yr old is supervised at all times and im the one who puts it on the rails,but as i mentioned the class 60 (loadhall liv)is ideal for him he can crank it on full power off and on ect to his hearts content and it is fine,obviously the weight of the class 60 is the reason probably weighs more than the whole pendo train and he expects the same from the pendo ill just have to teach him to be a better train driver as anything less than a slight incremental change in power sees it laying down on the corners or just derailing so i cant really leave him to it as the pendo will be in bits within a week !! ill maybe start by adding some weight to the middle of the power car ,thanks again

·
Keen railway enthusiast
1,027 Posts
I am glad everything is OK now as your son must have been getting upset about his train not working properly. Just have fun now and enjoy it together. Maybe a trip to a real railway will be nice for him or even an exhibition of model railways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Pendolino and I saw a puff of smoke coming from the power car and I think a blue flash.

when I removed the body I saw a white mark on the underside of the pc board. The lights go on but it won’t move nd there is no sound from the motor.
I could order a new card but if the motor is blown I would be better off trying to find a replacement car rather than replacing these two components.

any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Personally I would suggest first a check of the motor by applying power direct to the brush terminals, just in case the failure is external to the motor and has isolated it from power. That's typically a simple fix if you can solder.

If the motor has failed then the spares diagram should enable ordering of a replacement motor, if that's a good option for you. Whether Hornby can supply is another matter, spares supply for most maker's product is often 'problematic'.

Alternatively, owners of this item may be able to identify an equivalent spare from either Hornby or 'China Inc', but I have not a clue, never looked at one of these.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts