Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Bachmann A1s, one with flush rivetted cab and tender sides the other with round headed rivets. What I'd like to know if anyone here can help is which one is the right model to choose to re-name as 60134 Foxhunter?
I have no attatchment to this loco I just like the sound of the name, any help would be much welcomed. Thanks alot guys.

Arethusa

·
Registered
74 Posts
Okay

60114 - 60129 Flush cab/tender sides. Built Doncaster

60130 - 60153 Rivetted cab tender sides. Built Darlington

60154 - 60161 Flush cab/tender sides.Built Doncaster

I've 5 A1's they are all excellent includeing Foxhunter.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have 5 Bachmann A-1's, North British in BR Blue which I just got the other day, WP Allen in Apple green with British railways on the tender, Kestrel in BR Green, Great Central in BR green and Aberdonian in BR Green. When was Foxhunter? released and how did I miss it as I thought I had them all.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (davidw @ 3 Feb 2007, 10:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Okay

60114 - 60129 Flush cab/tender sides. Built Doncaster

60130 - 60153 Rivetted cab tender sides. Built Darlington

60154 - 60161 Flush cab/tender sides.Built Doncaster

I've 5 A1's they are all excellent includeing Foxhunter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 3 Feb 2007, 08:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have 5 Bachmann A-1's, North British in BR Blue which I just got the other day, WP Allen in Apple green with British railways on the tender, Kestrel in BR Green, Great Central in BR green and Aberdonian in BR Green. When was Foxhunter? released and how did I miss it as I thought I had them all.

Ozzie21

It's never been produced by Bachmann.

The six (not five can't count) I have are:

60117 Bois Rousell
60125 Scottish Union
60128 Bon Accord
60130 Kestrell
60134 Foxhunter
60140 Balmoral

I am tempted by King Courier when that comes out later in the year. I'll need to check the detail differences first - I'm a bit of an engine picker!

All the above are were originally Aberdonian's, Kestrel's or Great Central purchased off ebay or new. All late crest, Renamed numbered using fox/247 development plates and transfers

By the same token I've plenty of A4' and A3's I know soooooooo sad...

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, that makes things a lot clearer, Aberdonian is for the chop then.
just tried the meths and cotton bud method of crest removal the other day after picking up the tip on another thread here on MRF, for simple renaming that seems to be the easiest way of doing it, I'd tried the fibreglass pencil and found you have to be so careful so as not to damage the paint underneath that it was almost impossible. Fortunately that was on Dominion of New Zealand and I used the excellent steel letters from Foxes to re number her so slight damage is not noticable. The meths pulled the crests of the tenders of a Hornby MN and a Bachmann Modified Hall with the only sign that anything had been done being a slight polishing of the paint where the crest used to be, easily fixed when the new crests are sealed in with a coat of varnish.
Arethusa

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David, I'm using the last of my Humbrol satin varnish and hoping that Hornby restart supplies very soon.
For "Full Monty" repaints I mainly use the Railmatch range except for the simple colours like black which I stick with Humbrol for as they cost a lot less and for transfers I mostly use HMRS Pressfix with a few other makes thrown in as needed, plates are a mix of Foxes and 247 Developments and what I can find in the bit boxes at swapmeets.
I have a project on the shelf to pair an 8F with a Fowler tender and see if 247 will make me some bespoke name plates, I want to combine the railway with another passion of mine and call her "Iron Maiden" just for the hell of it.
Arethusa

·
Registered
763 Posts
Is there anything that can be done to stiffen up the rear pony wheels as they seem to dislike running over points and derail? Is it a matter of putting a heftier spring in to eliminate the problem? Must say I like the Bachmann idea more than the hornby one other than of course the above.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't really say mine misbehave over the peco streamline medium radius turnouts of my clubs layout or the set track points on my home layout, where they do come off is over switchbacks in the set track pointwork or where there is still some of the last generation of Hornby points. Oddly enough I have some really old Hornby points, the ones with a cast switch rail, and these don't upset the Bachmann stock at all.
I'd say just go for the largest turnouts you can and try to avoid switchbacks in the tight stuff and you should be OK.
Not having got any of the new Hornby fixed pony/cartazzi locos I can't really comment on their running qualities, but with my current layout I think they would give me more trouble with the rear wheels swinging all over the shop then catching the rail as the track straightens. So I too think the Bachmann method seems more logical.
Arethusa

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Strange that. I actually removed the springs from the front and rear trucks as I found the hauling capacity of the A-1's was a little down on what I expected. By the removing the springs which seem to take a fair bit of the weight I increased the hauling capacity by two or three coaches depending on whose they are and if I've added any weight. I had a similar problem with the V-1 as it's hauling capacity was abysmal on a 1.55 grade, 3 Gresely teaks before it slipped. Now after taking out the springs it can manage six coaches with no problems.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (spongebob @ 4 Feb 2007, 11:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is there anything that can be done to stiffen up the rear pony wheels as they seem to dislike running over points and derail? Is it a matter of putting a heftier spring in to eliminate the problem? Must say I like the Bachmann idea more than the hornby one other than of course the above.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Needless to say the A1 trust is a good resource of info - their newsletters are building a class history, loco by loco, and there is plenty of data on their website www.a1steam.com

60134 - yes, that's right!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Been away for couple of days, I must be the slowest person on the planet not to notice we have somebody on here going by the name of 60134 and a moderator to boot. Please forgive this humble little grunt, maybe you should bust me down from Guard to Station Cat.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
There's no need for apologies! I'm more of a "sleeper" than a moderator but I have some uses....

I've been involved with "Tornado" since the early days - I know a lot of folk think the money would be better spent on Barry wrecks but IMO this project had to be done and it had to be BIG to prove that any component could now be manufactured. I just think it is a crying shame that the A4 boys and the NRM poured all that cash into ancient boilers when they could have had a new one for the same price.... sigh...

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed about the waste of money on the clapped out boilers for the A4s and Scotsman.
Am very much looking forward to Tornado being completed, more so for the fact she's to be run in at my local GCR.
With you being involved with Tornado are you talking to Bachmann again about doing another loco depicting as she is when she will be takes her bow, ie Doncaster green? If so I'll have to get another one.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I am doing my best to ensure that I spend some quality time with my big "mistress" when she's running in so maybe we should get together then!

I am seeing David Haarhous in a couple of weeks time so I'll ask the question. It is a shame that the original batch had the recall problem. We are thinking of four liveries during her first ten year ticket, apple green (Dorothy Mather's preferred scheme), blue, Brunswick green with cycling lion and ditto with the later crest.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (60134 @ 10 Feb 2007, 18:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is a shame that the original batch had the recall problem.

I've got three from that first batch including Tornado and have never had a problem with them getting excesivly hot.

QUOTE (60134 @ 10 Feb 2007, 18:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We are thinking of four liveries during her first ten year ticket, apple green (Dorothy Mather's preferred scheme), blue, Brunswick green with cycling lion and ditto with the later crest.

Thanks a lot that's more money to spend if you end up putting out models of her in all liveries as I'm up for the Donny green one anyway and quite fond of the BR blue livery

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hello,

It's my 20th anniversary today and Mrs H gave me some cash to get a present (a loco of course). I've been buying most of the recent releases over the past few weeks so I was a bit stumped as to what to get. I did fancy an A2 but the green versions haven't arrived up here yet and I prefer to support small shops rather than buy using mail order. In the end I spotted an A1 renamed and renumbered from Meg Merilles to Archibald Sturrock in BR green in Pastimes Glasgow.

I was a little concerned about the A1's reliability problems when they first came out, but in the end I bought it and it runs faultlessy. I'm very pleased with it and will cherish it for a good number of years. If anybody is in doubt about the A1s I would say don't be, and go for one, it really is a beautiful engine.

regards,

Clive

1 - 17 of 17 Posts