Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from a thread on another forum about the very shamefull treatment by some jumped-up copper and on a member of the public while taking photographs in Hull, I thought this might be of interest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7351252.stm

The petition about clarifying the law on public photography that is on the Downing Street website is here:-

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/

.........although I needed to type in "photography" into the search box to come up with the right list, it was very easy. Petition closes 13th September 08.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I'm afraid that this is just yet another sign of the times that we now live in.

Often, in my main work I have to take pictures of shop fronts, facia signs & so on. If I am in a shopping centre, railway station or similar I will have to get permission from the control room or centre management, often in writing, in advance to do so - not just for "anti-terrorist" measures but for "health & safetly" reasons - never with a tripod either, unless the area is closed to the public at the time.

Certainly, there are over zealous officials but generally we will have to get used to it - can you imagine the public outcry if it came out that some atrocity was sucessfull because someone had been allowed unhindered access to take photographs ? There can be loads of detail in a "general" picture, such as the postion of security camera's.

Yes, it is a shame for those of us who enjoy taking pictures, but how many other hobbies are now restricted ?

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Basically, if you are on public land or in a public space you can take a picture of whatever you want - even if the scene you are shooting is on private land or on private space (like looking through a fence into a private garden). If you are private land or in a private place you have to ask permission.

If someone doesn't want to be photographed, then it is up to them to build higher walls.

Authorities need a court order to ask you not to photograph in a public space or to take your photographic film or equipment.

You can take photos of shops, military installations, airports etc. as long as it from the outside.

You can take pictures of kids, crash scenes, celebrities, politicians etc. as long as you are on public land or in a public space.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The problem of taking photographs inside railway stations has been much to the fore since privatisation of BR. There have been numerous incidents of photographers being stopped from doing something which in BR days was allowed without question.

The Railway Magazine has been running a column on this problem for several years. There is a guide sheet available from the British Transport Police which makes clear rights and responsibilities. The RM stresses that if you are not in transit but specifically going to a large station to take photos you should contact the station manager in advance, as the BTP guide asks you to do.

Regards,
John Webb

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 18 Apr 2008, 09:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Basically, if you are on public land or in a public space you can take a picture of whatever you want - even if the scene you are shooting is on private land or on private space (like looking through a fence into a private garden). If you are private land or in a private place you have to ask permission.

If someone doesn't want to be photographed, then it is up to them to build higher walls.

Authorities need a court order to ask you not to photograph in a public space or to take your photographic film or equipment.

You can take photos of shops, military installations, airports etc. as long as it from the outside.

You can take pictures of kids, crash scenes, celebrities, politicians etc. as long as you are on public land or in a public space.

In principle yes - but, the authorities (whoever they may be at the time) can usually stop you, should they wish to under various anti-terrorism or health & safety rules applied to suit themselves. Don't forget "behaviour to encourage a breech of the peace" or whatever. It's all down to how they apply it.

England used to be a free country with it's citizens free to go about their daily business without interference, but not any more - just count the number of CCTV camera's you see during a typical day.

Mind you, I remember being the first on the scene of a very, very gory accident when the truck involved had the cab virtually smashed away with the driver badly trapped & when the fire service rigged up some screens (using my stepladders) to stop the ghoules gawping a photographer tried to get through to take pictures and was asked to "leave it alone please" several times - who really has the right - the truck driver fighting for his life not to have his face (or what was left of it) plastered all over the local rag or the vulture with the camera ?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Last century when I started work for HMG I had to sign the Official Secrets Act. Although I was working for the then DHSS I was informed that I could not, under the terms of the act, take photographs of or in Goverment premises. Needless to say this was ignored on numerous occasions.

More interestingly it prohibited me from revealing to the public the whereabouts of government property, establishments or equipment.

"Excuse me is there a 'phone box round here?"

"Sorry - I'm not allowed to tell you"

Total insanity.

Regards

·
Registered
763 Posts
I keep meaning to write to my local MP asking him to support Austin Mitchell's early day motion complaining about this

It's the "amateurs in uniform" - security guards , Communiity Support Officers and the like with a greater sense of their importance than knowledge of their legal powers , who are the worst problem

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
I never seem to have any problems regarding photography and thats what i do as my main income!! I have found a low cut top inveriably works........................................ I have even had a policeman help me to get a better shot !!

Nikki

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 18 Apr 2008, 17:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I never seem to have any problems regarding photography and thats what i do as my main income!! I have found a low cut top inveriably works
Nikki

Images from "Smokey and the Bandit" spring to mind, the two "Ladies" in the black Lamborghini

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I too signed the Official Secrets Act and will continue to take what photographs I wish, until such times it can be Proved I am committing any Offence in law. What about the Press when they are continually clicking at a celebrity as if they have never been seen? Will this be stopped?
The easy answer to all this is, if you don't wish to sign the petition, then don't. The choice is yours.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 18 Apr 2008, 18:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Images from "Smokey and the Bandit" spring to mind, the two "Ladies" in the black Lamborghini

I thought that scene was in "The Cannonball Run" - it works every time until they get pulled by a lady officer.

Regards

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I must be lucky. I've been to the UK several times this year to Model Railway Exhibitions.I've taken lots of photos of Railway Stations in London.Birmingham & Glasgow. As least now if in future I'm told to stop I will have some idea of my rights. I never even thought of it.
It's sad the way things have gone over the years. I remember in 1993 in Boston USA I got two big coppers to hold on to my wifes arms and pretent to arrest her. The sad thing was they let her go when I had finishd taking the shot.
Imagine what would happen if I tried it now.

·
Registered
894 Posts
There is a guide for people wishing to do some photography on stations can be found on the national rail website.

Generally speaking though, on stations or properties where enthusiasts would not be expected, tell the local manager you are there, and tell them why. I must admit I once asked a Virgin employee at Euston if it was alright for me to go up the platform and he gave me one of those looks, you know the ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts