Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to show a few photos of the OO scale Metcalfe low relief shops kit PO224 I've been building. They are shown just-built, without any landscaping, on uneven ground, and with no weathering. Even so I reckon they look very good. With my wife's assisitance I spent a lot of time searching for photos suitable for interiors, and my daughter created the striped awning in MS paint.
I was surprised at the range of signs and shop displays Metcalfe provided, but I used only one of their signs [hanging inside the fish and chips shop] I'll put lights in some time. And hoping to one day buy the flashing "neon" fish and chips sign I found online on some US.site.
No doubt many of you have had plenty of experience with Metcalfe kits [this is only my 2nd] but I have to say I'm very impressed with their product.
Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies.
Rob - the fence is made by Ratio - it's their concrete fence posts kit, which also comes with signs, free-standing taps and drains and a couple of gates. Great value. I wired it with single strands of the finest copper wire I had. Each strand is about the thickness of a hair [maybe a bit less than that] and they are easy to snap. I ran each strand through a puddle of grey paint, and wired them in place using tweezers.
Doug - I bought my kit at my local hobby store. It cost about $26Aust.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I like the shops, then again I like Metcalfe kits and am using them for my Platforms and pub (although that started out as a pair of cottages!)

My question, however, is where did you get the motorcycle and side car from - it's great.

Regards

John

·
Registered
77 Posts
A Butcher, a Chipper, and a Baker. Got a very nice Scottish feel to it. Now I cannae make my mind what I want for tea tonight. A Steak Pie or a Fish Supper, and a Kirriemuir Gingerbread for afters.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good work, keep the Card Modellers banner flying high, eh, low carbon footprint and all that, no nasty plastics emissions needed! Is it a BSA with a Watsonian s'car?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for the replies.
The motorcycle and sidecar are white metal kits by DGM available from LGM Scale Models and Kits via ebay They don't specify which brand of bike it is. They also make AA and RAC motorbike patrolman kits. Well worth a look. From communication with them, it looks hopeful that they will produce some 50s and 60s cars this year. Most of their cars are 20s and 30s. I still want them all, though.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/LGM-SCALE-MODELS...sQ3amesstQQtZkm
Hopefully that link will work
They make OO and N scale and I really like them . I also have a wonderful Reliant Van

Doug - yes those are the same buildings, except mine is the low relief version. Those are probably much better built than mine
In that pic I see they've squeezed them up snug to each other. Hard to blief it would've been all one piece. Is there normally no gap between, can anyone tell me?
Thankyou again for the interest.
Mike

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (mikelhh @ 25 Jan 2007, 22:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks again for the replies.
The motorcycle and sidecar are white metal kits by DGM available from LGM Scale Models and Kits via ebay
Thankyou again for the interest.
Mike

Thanks for that answer Mike, and yes, the link did work.

Regards

John

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I've just ordered some of these Metcalfe models. I found a brewery and a factory in OO scale. They are going to go at the back of the layout to give dome 'industrial' depth to the scenes.

I think they look great and as long as they are not going to be handled, will work fine. The resin Skaledale items can come to the front.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think the brewery is great. It is remarkably similar to McMullen's Hertford Brewery ... and there was once some track past the brewery.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Excellent models on a nice setting mikelhh

One thing to remember with British Railway modelling is that anywhere the public could gain access to the railway and especially in a street setting, the fencing wouldn't be post and wire (even though it does look superb in your setting). The railway company would have installed (most likely) metal fencing - Like the spear topped version, or a wooden palisade style.

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ 26 Jan 2007, 15:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One thing to remember with British Railway modelling is that anywhere the public could gain access to the railway and especially in a street setting, the fencing wouldn't be post and wire
There is post and wire fencing along part of the East Hertford line. I walk past it every day. It is on the Mead Lane side of the line.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts